+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redarriw141

Thumbs up Sumvision Cyclone Astro Review

Review Name

Product Description from manufacturers website...

The Sumvision Astro is the perfect gadget for those who wish to perform their daily entertainment from the comfort of their sofa. With its powerful 1.2GHz CPU and built in GPU, the Astro can perform all your tasks quickly and smoothly.

Play your favourite YouTube videos and stream BBC iPlayer programs smoothly. Play all the latest games with stunning 3D graphics. Supports gravity sensor function which allows the Astro Tablet PC to be operating in either portrait or landscape view. The Cyclone Astro is also fitted with a fully functional capacitive touch screen, supporting multi touch control.

With the built in 2d/2d GPU. The Cyclone Astro Tablet PC is capable of supporting 3D games perfectly. Be amazed with great 3D visuals and smooth gameplay. Supports Flash Player 10.3. View web pages with flash graphics smoothly and stream your favourite programs on BBC iPlayer.

Processor
    ARM Cortex A8 1.2GHz
    Memory
    512MB DDR3 RAM
    Micro SD Card – supports up to 32GB
    Software
    Operating System: Android 2.3
    Display
    7” LCD Capacitive Multi Touch Screen
    16:9 Aspect Ratio
    Resolution: 800 x 480
    Graphics
    Dual Mali-400 2D/3D graphics
    Video Format Support: MPEG2/4, AVI, WMV, MKV, MOV, RM, RMVB
    Picture Format Support: JPG, BMP, PNG, GIF
    Audio
    Integrated Speakers
    Format: MP3, WMA, FLAC, OGG
    Input Devices
    Touch Screen
    Networking
    Built in IEEE 802.11b/g
    Supports WCDMA / CDMA EVDO (external 3G Dongle required)
    Power Supply
    3200mAh Polymer battery
    Charger (5V / 2A)
    Play time approx 5 – 7 hours (depending on usage)
    Dimensions
    Width 198 mm
    Height 122 mm
    Depth 12.8 mm
    Weight 365 g
    Interfaces
    USB 2.0
    Micro SD Card Slot
    3.5mm Ear Phone Port
    Mini HDMI Port
    Warranty / Miscellaneous
    1 Year Manufacturer Warranty
    0.3 mp Webcam

First glance

The device is nothing special to look at, very simple, exactly as the picture. However I feel that works in its favour, as it is a simple and easy to use design. The buttons are firm and, although they feel very plastic, they are infact well in place and don't feel like they are going to fall off. The usually respond first time, and any lag with the buttons I put down to the Operating system.

In the box

The box is simple, comes with the device, an english manual, USB cable and UK Charging Plug.

First thoughts

When I saw the price of this device, I couldn't believe it.

Ordered the device on the Sunday and it arrived on the Monday; Best service I have ever received. I also bought a 32GB microSD (which i can confirm it does support) and the 2Years insurance and accidental damage cover for £19.

I got the Device for Just under £100 after a bit of research into it. As the company is relatively unknown, and have no "contact us" facility on their website I had to dig a little deeper to find out about this device.

The tablet is a MoMo9/Scroll Excel With android 2.3.4 on it by default. After a little bit of playing around with it I did notice a few issues, such as crashes during games, with random restarts; And also notable touch sensitivity issues; But I will get to them later.

Performance

The performance of this device, considering the price tag is amazing. There had been a few issues where it crashed and restarted, however, I later fixed that by upgrading the firmware to the latest.

Battery life

Battery life is acceptable, nothing to exciting, with a 3200MaH Lithium Polymer battery the device does what it can with the power. I got 10 Hours of light use and music through headphones. On a separate day I got about 3/4 hours heavy use.

Software

Unlike the Scroll Excel (same device) it comes with android market place built in as standard, and it works perfectly with no issues.

The default software is acceptable, apart from the afore mentioned crashing that I have noticed while playing games that use a lot of ram/cpu power. The software comes with a few games that are pre-installed, and also saved into the memory as .apk files, which is useful to keep these files incase you need to re-install at any time.

A couple of issues: I did experience crashes as mentioned, this problem is slightly frustrating especially when your trying to show the device off to everyone. I had experienced a few WIFI drops, which again is irritating as it doesn't allow me to download more apps. Touch sensitivity is a complaint of many Scroll Excel users, and it is the same story with this device, it often misses where your intending to touch.

However, below I will explain how you can fix all those issues with a simple firmware update (took me about 40 mins including download time (~250mb))

The big question is the upgradablity of this device to the newer firmware. On the one hand it can seem a little dangerous, as there is no information on this device on the internet apart from this site. However I will say that I have upgraded the firmware on my device to Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) using the MoMo9 firmware (after working out that infact the devices where the same). A quick google of (MoMo9 firmware ICS) will bring up a forum post called (Finally!!! MOMO9 Android 4.0.1 ICS firmware - Pandawill Forum) with all the information in it (read all the posts, as the first is a bit difficult to understand: the best post is by "MoAnsar" on page 5). [I will not be held responsible for you doing this wrong. I have seen this method work on multiple tablets of the same model; but please be sensible and follow all the instructions]

I can confirm that ICS Works with everything that worked on my tablet previously.

Conclusion

Upgrading the firmware solved all my previous gripes with the device. The touch screen is far more accurate, there have been no WIFI drops and there have been no crashes. This device, especially after being upgraded to the newest firmware, is amazing. I have used many tablets, and can safely say that this tablet is better than my old Archos 101 tablet, and feels on a par with the Samsung Galaxy tab, as anything i throw at either of them seems to work.

If you want any more reviews for this device, read the reviews for the MoMo9 or better yet watch youtube videos of the device. I definitely recommend upgrading it to the latest firmware, although I wouldn't attempt it if you are not very technically minded, as it takes a few attempts to get it right.

Just a few notes of confusion over this tablet and the MoMo9 tablet:
    -This tablet does have a responsive capacitive touch-screen
    -This tablet does come with Android Market Place by default
    -This tablet does charge my USB or the Plug given

Pre-upgrade score

What I liked[/SIZE]
    • Responsive touch screen, good performance, Great value for money
    What I disliked
    • Crashing Issues, WIFI dropping
    Ratings:
    Performance ******** 8/10
    Build Quality ******** 8/10
    Value ******************** 20/10
    Design ********** 10/10

Overall Rating:
    8/10

Post-upgrade (firmware)

[/SIZE]

What I liked[/SIZE][/COLOR]
    • Everything
    What I disliked
    • Nothing so far
    Ratings:
    Performance ********** 10/10
    Build Quality ******** 8/10
    Value *x1000 1000/10
    Design ********** 10/10

[/COLOR]
    [/COLOR]

Overall Rating:
    9/10

Conclusion-of the-Conclusion

[/SIZE]

I really struggled to give it a fair score, as I feel the Value of the device out weighs all of the previous issues with the device; And after upgrading the firmware, the device is a completely different machine.
    Last edited by Redarriw141; 3rd February 2012 at 11:34 AM.

Brilliant first post
    Gigabyte Z87-D3HP-CF | Intel i5 4670k | 8GB Corsair DDR3 | Powercolour HD6850 PCS+ | Asus Xonar DGX |Crucial M4 128GB | x2 Samsung F3's 1TB | Gelid Tranquillo Cooler | Corsair 520HX | Fractal R4 | Dell U2311H | Logitech G9X, G710+ & X-540

tombob1861

Default Ace review

Great Review. Just wondered if you could tell me how difficult it was to upgrade the OS. I'm fairly computer savy but I've never had to re-flash firmware on a tablet only really Cisco routers via TFTP.

If you have a how to would love to know where i might find it.

Many thanks

The Turtle

Nice one thanks OP, great review!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Follow me on twitter

pphill40

I'd head to http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/producti...blet_astro.asp
    ICS is officially available as a downlaod from their website, where there is also a video to help you
    Not upgraded myself though as my tablet is very stable with the installed version and works beautifully

incantrix

Love the review I've Googled high and low but not found the answer to a question I have.........Can I play Flash games on it? OK, OK I mean Facebook games I'm full of shame, but it's my guilty pleasure. Please don't flame me

Ebuyer Enthusiast

It's running on ARM and has Android Market (or Google Play) so even if flash doesn't come pre-installed it should be trivial to install it manually from Play.... (seriously, that's a retarded name for the market Google!). Of course, running the typically badly coded flash games from Facebook will eat the battery life in next to no time at all....

JasonPrice

current batch comes with 4.0 installed already though seems to be an issue with the camera behind the screen cover being partly blocked so only display half camera picture

mantaii

hi!
    Looking at buying this tablet but wanted to know what the screen was like in sunlight? Im looking for a ereader with extras, i.e. able to surf the net, watch movies as well as read ebooks.

Is this OK in the sunlight?

Thanks

amclw1

Quote Originally Posted by pphill40 View Post
    I'd head to http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/producti...blet_astro.asp
    ICS is officially available as a downlaod from their website, where there is also a video to help you
    Not upgraded myself though as my tablet is very stable with the installed version and works beautifully
    Does anyone know if this upgrade works on the earlier release of the Scroll Excel version of this tablet?

Brought this tablet a while back and it's amazing for the money...I can confirm it has google play [google market] & does run bbc iplayer pretty smooth.

My question thru is does anyone know the settings to overclock this tablet to run at 1200MHz? As my one always says 1008MHz, even faster OC would be nice.
    I have the astro+ version of the tablet with the 1gb of drr3 ram, yet most benchmark apps don't pick up on this.

Dessimat0r

Any idea about how to get Windows 7/8 x64 to pick up the Astro+ tablet? The USB driver included with LiveSuit included with the Cyclone Astro 4.0 firmware isn't working (I get a unknown device, after trying to install drivers I get USN Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)), even in the supposed DFU mode. I'm trying to flash with the 4.0 Astro+ image provided on the Sumvision support page.

Regarding the previous post, use the proper image at the top of the page, which has the correct settings for the processor built-in (1.2ghz instead of 1.0ghz, and the 1gb RAM instead of the 512gb).

Dessimat0r

Actually, this is already on 4.0.3 I've just found, so nothing needs to be done. However, that doesn't explain the inoperable DFU and non-DFU drivers.

Looneylee

Default Help!

Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, but needing a bit of help getting WIFI set up! It keeps saying "Obtaining IP address", but never progresses. It seems that this is a common problem on Androids, but can't seem to find any help on this particular tablet. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Looneylee

Quote Originally Posted by Looneylee View Post
    Not sure whether this is the correct place to post this, but needing a bit of help getting WIFI set up! It keeps saying "Obtaining IP address", but never progresses. It seems that this is a common problem on Androids, but can't seem to find any help on this particular tablet. Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Not to worry - all sorted now - friend popped round and played with some settings

Default external hard drive?

hey all, im new to this forum so hello and thanks for the above help
    this tablet sounds good, and i was wondering if any who has it

can you attach your external hard drive to access files via the usb?

i'm trying to find a tablet that does so..

many thanks

neil

Flanker27_uk

Had mine for about a week

There's an adapter cable in the package that allows you to attach a USB drive

Works fine for Thumb drive & I can use my 2TB backup drive which is powered

Doesn't seem to have enough "Juice" to drive an external 2.5" drive through the USB cable though

Hope this helps

Default Awesome product..help with crashes tho?

Hey all

Thanks for the advice above.

so i got paid..and ordered one straight away! arrived super fast...

it says its loaded with ics 4.0under the firmware however... i'm having issues with it crashing and restarting during browsing/ using a couple of apps like guardian or reading an e-book. this even happens when i'm only using one app at a time...

i went here:

http://www.sum-vision.co.uk/producti...blet_astro.asp and followed the instructions to download the new update

(which i'm not sure is needed although a post above said the updated firmware helps fix the crashes)

however...

to download the update and it says

Temporarily Unavailable

This file is temporarily unavailable because there are no resources available under the owner’s account. Learn More.
    on

http://www.mediafire.com/?rc879m37jqey2o3

so now i'm a bit stuck...

the tablet works a beaut in general until it crashes...

i can't update it as the website is saying

This file is temporarily unavailable

can anyone help?
    even send me the file for the update..?

Or do i even need to update it as it says its running ICS 4.0

Thanks for help!!

Default Wired Ethernet Works, Problem with iPlayer/Flash

Got this last Friday (6 July 2012), running Android 4.0.3. Don't have wifi at home, but very easy to set up on wired ethernet using supplied USB OTG cable & "StarTech.com USB2106S" USB to ethernet adaptor. Took 5 minutes to configure it, but works a dream.

Only problem so far is I can't get BBC iPlayer to work. Lots of other people say it's OK, but no luck here so far. I've tried rolling FLASH Player back a couple of revisions but to no avail. I want to check for firmware updates from Sumvision, but site has been down (bandwidth exceeded) for the last 24 hours.

Overall, very impressed for £80, but I won't be totally happy until I can get iPlayer working.

Model number: ASTROPLUS
    Android version: 4.0.3
    Baseband version: 1.1
    Kernel version: 3.0.8+ inet_wl@inetsuperserver #6
    Build number: 97F2-D1-H2-H101-2102.20120515

On Sumvision website, latest firmware has date of 25/05/12 which is ten days newer than mine (15/05/12). Firmware update might well fix the FLASH issue, but I can't download it.

http://www.sumvision.com.cn/producti...blet_astro.asp

Has anyone else had problems getting BBC iPlayer/FLASH working? Different versions of FLASH don't work, so I'm guessing it must be down to this particular BUILD number (97F2-D1-H2-H101-2102.20120515). Can anyone else who has purchased one of these recently check their build-number, and if the same, does iPlayer work?

I have the file which I could upload somewhere if someone knows of a free file sharing website without cruddy bandwidth limits.

Also build 2102.20120515 *is* the latest firmware, it was just uploaded to the Sumvision website 10 days later than it was built.
    After a clean flash, iPlayer works fine for me
    Last edited by Weznezz; 11th July 2012 at 12:37 AM.

CatWeazel

Quote Originally Posted by Weznezz View Post
    I have the file which I could upload somewhere if someone knows of a free file sharing website without cruddy bandwidth limits.
    I've also been looking for this to update my Mums tablet as it keeps crashing every few seconds. So if you can find somewhere to upload it I would be gratfull.

Highlander1uk

I have the same Build as Weznezz and also the same problem can't run I-player on my tablet, even though it says on the box and every where I look it does but every time I try to run it it takes me t the flash site and says that my Adriond ver 4 is not supported by Adobe, so how did you manage to get it working on your tablet Mate.

Regards Highlander1uk

Default iPlayer Now Working, But Needed To Download Different Browser(s)

Still using the latest 2102.20120515 build (thanks for the clarification on that). I performed a factory reset then redownloaded Flash & iPlayer, but still no joy. I googled "Android 4.0.3 iplayer problem" and found people with other tablets (transformer I think) had similar problems. They suggested downloading the "Dolphin" and/or "Boat" Browsers. I tried them and they both seem to work (only just done it, but they both seem OK).

In conclusion; it's annoying that iPlayer doesn't work out-of-the-box on my particular unit, but I still think the tablet was £80 well spent.

For anyone that hasn't spent their cash yet, I believe the Cyclone Astro+ uses an Allwinner A10 chip which is a single core Cortex A8. There is an Allwinner A13 version on the way (I think I got that from the Ployer website). I don't know anything about this chip, but my guess is it may well be a dual core Cortex A9. Don't quote me on this, as that's just my best guess.

darren franklin

For what its worth, I have the same issue with IPlayer not working in the default browser. But, I downloaded the IPlayer app from Google Play and that happily works ok, althought the quality looks a bit poor to my eyes.

I will try the suggested 'Dolphin' above tonight and see if that works and report back. Has anyone tried Chrome yet?

One quick question, I have a Micro SD card, but its not obvious which way to have it when inserting into the tablet? If I have the tablet face up, should the connectors be visible or not? It seems to accept it both ways but has not clicked and locked in - perhaps I am being too careful ? :-)

Thanks
    Darren

darren franklin

Just confirming that Dolphin does play IPlayer within the browser. MicroSD also now inserted, not sure I will ever get it back out again though!

Overall - excellent value for money and very happy with it - buy one now !

Registered here just to offer some help. If someone was to send me (give a link to) latest firmware I could upload it to my acc on dev-host. Should be available for a long time there as they don't cap bandwidth.

Hi Guys
    Have bought a cyclone astra +. but need to attach a dongle for internet. Any ideas as to what is the best way to do so and how.
    Love the bit of kit anyway.

Thanks
    Knightlines

Sumvision Astro Plus update
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/uoy5y8

Make sure you click "Click here to start download from sendspace" at the bottom of the page, I hate these sites with 100 fake "download now" buttons.
    Feel free to download & reupload elsewhere

Default Wired Ethernet For Astro+

Hi Knightlines,

You say "but need to attach a dongle for internet". I don't have wifi at home so use wired ethernet from a router. I plug the USB OTG cable (the one with a USB socket on the other end, not a plug) into the tablet. I then use a "StarTech.com USB2106S" USB to ethernet adaptor to interface between USB & ethernet. Other adaptors may well work, but I had one of these lying around and it worked straight away (no driver install required). I don't have the tablet in front of me, but you have to enable wired ethernet to make it work. It's on the same tab (Settings, Network ?) as you configure wifi on, but it's further down the menu (hidden by default). You can tell if it's working as you'll see the tablet aquire an ip-address (something like 192.168.0.2) when connected. You'll also see a connectivity icon at the bottom right-hand side of the android home screen. I hope this helps.

If you don't have broadband at home, you could always try replacing the USB-ethernet adaptor noted above with a USB 3G dongle, but I haven't tried this so can't comment. If I'm out & about, my personal preference is to use an Android phone as a portable hotspot, and tether the tablet to the phone via wifi (takes about 5 minutes to set-up).

All,

Regarding my previous post regarding a new tablet with an Allwinner A13 processor (compared with A10 in Astro+), please ignore it. The A13 isn't a dual-core Cortex A9 at all, it's actually a cut-down Allwinner A10 (single-core Cortex A8) with the HDMI & SATA interfaces removed. I don't think SATA is much of a loss on a tablet, but losing the HDMI port would definitely make for an inferior device (unless the price was even more competitive..........).

hey silly question
    once downloaded the update file..what shud i do next?
    cheers