+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RichNuts

I've recently purchased this device and have a couple of issues that I was hoping some of you may be able to help me with......

Power Management
    - In the "Power control Schedle" there is no "Turn On" option in the drop down box. Any idea where it is?
    - The drive doesn't go into Hibernation after the set idle time.

Device Discovery
    - The device isn't discovered by the provided utility, but I can access the drive using Windows?
    I've added the port to both my router and Kapersky security software but still it's not discoverable (see pic).

Pic.jpg

If anyone can help I'd love to get this thing working.

novo

Has anyone faced the problem whereby any files on the drive can be seen via File Browser on the 'Playzone' web application, but not on the individual photo/music/video sections of the ‘Playzone’ web application.

For each of the individual sections, I am told that there are no files, when the File Browser clearly shows that files are present on the drive.

Any thoughts as to why this would be? Thanks in advance.

novo

Quote Originally Posted by novo View Post
    Has anyone faced the problem whereby any files on the drive can be seen via File Browser on the 'Playzone' web application, but not on the individual photo/music/video sections of the ‘Playzone’ web application.

For each of the individual sections, I am told that there are no files, when the File Browser clearly shows that files are present on the drive.

Any thoughts as to why this would be? Thanks in advance.
    for anyone else having this problem-
    applications-->media server--> rebuild database sorted it out.

Trenth

Hi,
    I bought a 2tb version a few weeks ago and am happy with most of it...

But I can't get the DLNA media server to work, I have 2 DLNA enabled TV's and neither can see the media server, PS3 can't see it. All windows and Mac computers can see it, and a Samba capable app on my iPad can see it, but nothing DLNA or Upnp. The media server is enabled through the web config screen.

Any ideas how to get it working with DLNA?

chrisophe

Hi

Got myself one of these earlier this week, all working fine apart from the speed of getting files on to the thing.... It's taking ages i.e 5hrs for 40gb

Is there a way to choose the destination share when using the sync/copy button on the front? as this seems faster but copied all my files to the public drive?

Anyone got a clue???

pk30015

see my posts from earlier novo - rebuild database is a fix - however its a flipping longwinded fix that I dont want to have to do everytime I get this problem which is regularly. To summarise when the problem occurs for me on say the ps3 media browser its also occurring on the playzone photo/music/video sections of the web browser!

dacepara

Default Backs up no files

Quote Originally Posted by noriga View Post
    Has anyone experienced an odd issue where the copy sync functionality USB>NAS would only create folders without the content of these on the NAS Drive? I have actually tried to connect my external USB Drive (a self powered 3.5 IDE USB drive) to the rear and also the front USB port of the NAD drive but the issue is still the same. Only folders and no files. When copyinig via network this works absolutely fine. Ebuyer has asked me to contact Zyxel for this but I do not have time to do this as I work full time and I do not have 3 hours or more to spend on a support chat or remote assist and find out I have to return the drive anyway.
    Thanks
    Its a strange system that if you de-select various folders/files then the system wont back-up new files/folders - see the help page ? on backup selection screen. I had to create a folder above then tock just that to ensure that contents are synced.

raygary

Have installed NSA 310 2Tb module networked with a PC and two laptops. PC and one laptop using Windows 7, the other laptop Windows XP. Having difficulty in getting final laptop to see the NSA drive letter. Clicking on icon gives the message "Unreachable". Can't find an answer to the problem in the Guides 500 odd pages. Be most grateful if any one can shed light on what I need to do to bring my network up and running.

novo

Quote Originally Posted by pk30015 View Post
    see my posts from earlier novo - rebuild database is a fix - however its a flipping longwinded fix that I dont want to have to do everytime I get this problem which is regularly. To summarise when the problem occurs for me on say the ps3 media browser its also occurring on the playzone photo/music/video sections of the web browser!
    pk- thanks for your reply. I read your posts- all sounds very familiar. It seems to happen to me when i try to transfer too many files at once- and on a couple of occasions the database rebuild hasnt worked, and it took deleting the files from the drive, and then dropping them back onto the drive bit by bit. Bit of a pain, but it's not my only problem...

...i also tried to set up the scheduled power down/ power up function- but, contrary to screenshots in the user guide- i dont have the option to "power up" on the drop down menu, only "power down" and "re-boot", which means I can't power it down overnight, and have it automatically switch itself on the next morning. Zyxel have been useless at getting back to me on this query. Stumped...

Hi folks,

I received my NSA310 (+Free 500Gb HDD fitted) a couple of days ago but started playing with it today. The problem I'm getting is the hdd light keeps turning red. I cannot find any reference to this in the manuals but I'm assuming its reporting a problem with the hard drive. I can see errors in the storage log (see below) and I have run the Scan volume tool with repair ticked, but it does not seem to fix/report any errors.

I wondered if anyone could offer some advice or should I just return it back to Ebuyer?

Error message in the Storage log:
    16 - 2012-02-18 10:35:22 storage emerg - disk1 SMART error (CurrentPendingSector) detected on host: MediaStore01, Device: /dev/sda, 3 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Thanks in advance,
    Steven

therealpigdog

Just received one of these and so far not too impressed.

I've mapped the shares on my laptop, but as soon as I do the same on the desktop then they are no longer accessible on the laptop.
    iTunes server doesn't work with latest version of iTunes.

Is there any way I can remove all the proprietary stuff and just set this up as a bog standard NAS rather than a media server? I just want one drive for me to store my films/music/documents on, which can be mapped on the network and accessed by anyone.

CharlieB

Hi, I bought my NSA310 recently for the reduced price of Ł69.99 with free 500GB drive fitted. Having read the posts on this device, I now wonder whether the low price reflects the problems with this NAS.

I have tried to connect an external eSATA drive to the NSA310 but it will not recognise it. I have followed the instructions to the letter (I think). I have connected the drive via USB port and this works fine, but I preferred to take advantage of the claimed RAID1 option.

Has anyone else tried the eSATA interface? I am waiting for a response from ZyXEL support on this.

bobajob

Hi BD,
    I bought the same model and I'm getting the red HDD light also. It seems to manifest itself after transfering large amounts of data ( 10-40 GB/time) or after rebuilding the media server database record, which for me seems to disappear every few days. Ran the volume scan while the light was red and it did not show any errors on the HDD. I tried a manual power down of the unit - front switch held in till it beeps once, this has worked occasionally - not always. Another time I tried in the power management menu - pressed restart - and this did work. HDD light came on and stayed green after restart.
    Apart from this quirk, the unit works fine as a NAS, which I primarily bought it for - backed up all my media files esp. my photos. Found it quicker to do this in Windows Explorer as the zPilot software puts everything in dated folders into whatever share you're aiming for.
    My drive does seem to power down after some time and runs quitely most of the time with no fan noise - which other users seem to be having problems with.
    I was hoping to use it also as a remote drive that my son and daughter could access over the internet for sharing of files but I'm still working through how to set that up securely as I'm new to network/internet access practice.
    Hope this helps,
    Bob.

kkiely

Default SYS light keeps blinking

I just bought a NSA310 and the SYS light keeps blinking on startup and never goes solid. The HDD light goes solid green and the networking light is green.

The NSA Startup utility cannot detect the device. I can ping it OK but I'm still wondering if I need to change a setting on my router. Any ideas?

DanB

Hi bobajob,

Also having the same problem with the red HDD light coming on after a period of time, thought it was a drive error but also ran the scan, no problems. Thought drive was constantly
    spinning but it now seems that this is just the fan noise. Was about to return to Ebuyer but now not so sure!, if anyone knows how to resolve this issue please let me know.

Thanks

DanB

snowdog

I bought a ZyXEL NSA-310 a week ago.
    I ended up calling their customer support, who were very good. I wanted to know the best way to transfer about 1Tb or so of data to the 2TB HDD I installed. The best way is to plug in an external HDD and use the File Browser in the User "Play Zone" area.
    You can drag n drop files from your USB HDD to the NSA 310 folder of your choice.

Oh I use a free piece of software called XMBC to access my files on the NSA310 this access all the files on the NSA310 and steams them faultlessly. I can now say that the NSA310 is great, works a treat !!

Peahead

Hi all,
    I should be receiving my NAS this week and was looking through the PDF manual, is it true that the hard drive will be formatted during first start up? I bought the NAS with no hard drive and was hoping to install my 2tb internal hard drive from my PC which has all my films, will I have to move the files to another hard drive first?
    Thanks
    Mark

pikeman

I have linked my NAS to my panasonic blu ray player via my router. The player found the NAS (as a DLNA source and can see all the files on it) I was hoping to play movies from the NAS through the Panny but they simply wont play giving me the message "Can't play file". Is there soemthing i should be doing or is it the file format (DIVX). They do work if i play them from a usb drive plugged into the panny's usb slot. Or is it a formatting issue on the HDD in the NAS.

Thanks

JayAdams

To Pikeman: I had the same problem. You wont be able to play it using DLNA, looks like the Panny will only DLNA to Win7 PCs. To get round the issue you need to turn on "Network drive connection". To do this go to Setup --> Player Settings --> Network --> Network Settings --> Network Drive Connection and turn this to On.

This will then give you another menu option in Network where you can map to the share where your files are kept. It will list everything (not in any order that I can see!) and you can play any file it can see. However, I've had problems, see below...

I started off impressed with this NAS, but am slowly losing my patience with it!

I'm trying to stream HD films from it in MKV format. I've transfered the files to the unit using an external drive with esata. Have it plugged into my Sky Sagem router with a cabled connection to my Panasonic BDT110 blu ray player and wireless to my desktop pc and laptop. TV shows seem to play fine (in MKV), but HD films only seem to play OK on my desktop. Both the Panny BR and my laptop suffer severe stutter, strangely, in exactly the same places in films. If I play the same film on my desktop there's no issue. Both the Panny and my laptop don't have a problem playing the very same files if they're either burnt to BR discs or played direct from an external hard drive. When monitoring the NAS during playback the CPU usage barely tops 5%. I'm pretty confused as to what's casuing it. Anyone have any ideas?

pikeman

Quote Originally Posted by JayAdams View Post
    To Pikeman: I had the same problem. You wont be able to play it using DLNA, looks like the Panny will only DLNA to Win7 PCs. To get round the issue you need to turn on "Network drive connection". To do this go to Setup --> Player Settings --> Network --> Network Settings --> Network Drive Connection and turn this to On.

This will then give you another menu option in Network where you can map to the share where your files are kept. It will list everything (not in any order that I can see!) and you can play any file it can see. However, I've had problems, see below...

I started off impressed with this NAS, but am slowly losing my patience with it!

I'm trying to stream HD films from it in MKV format. I've transfered the files to the unit using an external drive with esata. Have it plugged into my Sky Sagem router with a cabled connection to my Panasonic BDT110 blu ray player and wireless to my desktop pc and laptop. TV shows seem to play fine (in MKV), but HD films only seem to play OK on my desktop. Both the Panny BR and my laptop suffer severe stutter, strangely, in exactly the same places in films. If I play the same film on my desktop there's no issue. Both the Panny and my laptop don't have a problem playing the very same files if they're either burnt to BR discs or played direct from an external hard drive. When monitoring the NAS during playback the CPU usage barely tops 5%. I'm pretty confused as to what's casuing it. Anyone have any ideas?
    Thnaks for the reply My Panny is the Bt230 but i guess its features are the same. I will take a look. I can play most file types from a correctly formatted external hard drive attached via USB and they play really well. I just wanted the simplicity of one storage place for all. !! i will let you know how i get on.

mikepengelly

Default Fan speed issues

Hi all,

Ive had this drive for about 6 months i would say, great priced NAS drive.. media drive... not so good. it streams fine via dlna but indexing the files is a nightmare..
    I have over 1 TB of data and when i add a new file, it takes forever to index or i have to rebuild the whole database which can take weeks.. (ive turned off the indexing of photographs to speed this up.)

I upgraded the firmware to see if it helped... Now my fan doesnt seem to spin causing cpu temperature to rise..

does anybody know how to remove the firmware upgrade? ive looks on the site and they only have the newer firmware.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

gunit11019

Hi, im also having this issue with streaming to my television. Anyone got any ideas?

ldwilmer

I have the 500Mb drive version and planning to upgrade the drive to 2TB
    I'll have about 400 Mb of data to move across - connect the new drive via esata / usb first? No thats not going to work

Ideas please, what's the best (quickest) way to do this?

ldwilmer

Quote Originally Posted by Peahead View Post
    Hi all,
    I should be receiving my NAS this week and was looking through the PDF manual, is it true that the hard drive will be formatted during first start up? I bought the NAS with no hard drive and was hoping to install my 2tb internal hard drive from my PC which has all my films, will I have to move the files to another hard drive first?
    Thanks
    Mark
    Not only does it get formatted when you initialise the NAS, it appears to be formatted in some weird protocol that means you can't swap the drive to and from a pc

this is a problem for me too as I want to upgrade a nearly full 500Mb drive to a new 2Tb drive and keep the data.
    can't yet see how to do it easily!

Charlie04488

Default setting up log email zyxel nas

Could anyone explain why i get " no permission " and connection fail from test e mails in the log reporting of zyxel nas211.
    What entry goes in the "email from box" ?
    Thanks in advance

Default Problem on Win 7

Hi,
    Just received my 500gb NSA310 and installed with some difficulty. Thanks to Snowdog copied across all photos in quick time. However, has anyone any idea why I can't now view contents of NSA's folders (or even see the folders) in Win Explorer in 7. I got everything sorted on old desktop on XP and dragged a few files across on Win Explorer but on newer laptop, although NSA is visible in 2 places - Media and Other drives, nothing shows below these.

ntrealty

Hello guys! I see that a lot of people are having tons of unanswered questions with this device, however I will put my hopes up and add one more. Actually, it was already mentioned here in one or another form many times, and still no reply
    I have the NSA310, with 4.40FW and everything is running well (more or less), with exception of the DLNA file recognition problem. As I understood from googling and this forum, it seems to be a very common problem among NSA310 users. Basically, NAS does not always automatically update media library, after uploading/downloading new files to it. I also can not track the pattern of it's actions - it seems to update/not update it randomly. Rebuild database feature is very unclear, as it shows no progress and it is unknown, whether device found new files, or no. The only clue is the CPU usage %, which is a headache. Besides that, this seems to be not the "right" way of doing it and it does not always work. It still adds not all files, and sometimes creates several entries for one file, which leads to errors playing it later. Rebuild database feature also takes too long for being considered as a casual procedure.

My goal is to download media files through built-in BitTorrent app (which I find OK), and watch them straight from DLNA enabled SAMSUNG smart TV, without any additional actions. In other ways - how to get the autoscan feature to work as it should be working?
    I realize that almost every NAS310 user is experiencing this problem. How do you guys fight with it? Is there any additional script, or package which can fix it? I am running our of options here. Really looking forward for an answer.Thanks!

Mike83

Quote Originally Posted by ldwilmer View Post
    I have the 500Mb drive version and planning to upgrade the drive to 2TB
    I'll have about 400 Mb of data to move across - connect the new drive via esata / usb first? No thats not going to work

Ideas please, what's the best (quickest) way to do this?
    Put the 2TB drive in the NAS and format it. Put the 500mb drive in your PC and transfer the data through the network.
    Need a spare sata cable and a spare sata power connector from your psu.

Another way that possibly might work, put the 2TB drive in the NAS and format it, connect both 2TB and 500GB to your PC. Download and burn a Linux Live CD (Knoppix etc) boot it up and hopefully both drives will be shown and you can just easily transfer it to the 2TB - but I don't really know much about Linux so not sure if this will work.
    Need 2x spare sata cable and 2x spare sata power connector from your psu.

Mike83

Quote Originally Posted by jettamc22 View Post
    Hi,
    Just received my 500gb NSA310 and installed with some difficulty. Thanks to Snowdog copied across all photos in quick time. However, has anyone any idea why I can't now view contents of NSA's folders (or even see the folders) in Win Explorer in 7. I got everything sorted on old desktop on XP and dragged a few files across on Win Explorer but on newer laptop, although NSA is visible in 2 places - Media and Other drives, nothing shows below these.
    Is it visible on the Zyxel NAS Starter Utility?
    I'm not sure if it makes any difference but is your Workgroup name the same as the computers in the network? (nsa310\System Setting\Server Name - in the admin panel)

Hi Mike,
    I've just managed to map the shares on the Win 7 laptop but don't ask me how I did it - tried everything. The funny thing is on Starter Utility it's still showing Unreachable. My next task is to make a Canon LBP-810 useable by Laptop now I've attached it to NAS. It's showing up on Admin settings under Print Server but any ideas how I make it show as a printer on Win 7 laptop - I've tried add a printer but it complains about no driver even though it's downloaded to Laptop. Do I have to download it to the NAS as well??