+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jamsoup

Default My CPU temp is 60*C idle

As the title says, I am in serious need of some cooling in my computer. I currently have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 754 socket with the default heatsink and fan. I recently installed a new fan in the case and thats lowered the temp to 60 from about 66. The temp can rise to 68 when I'm playing games, plus I'm upgrading soon which will add more heat into the mix. What do you guys recommend I do?

Ebuyer Loyalist

buy some proper thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 - get some, do NOT settle for something else because eBuyer don't sell it) and apply it

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jamsoup

So I remove the heatsink, apply the paste and reattach the heatsink?

Senior Ebuyer Addict

actaully a new heatsink will be better the stock coolers are never that good

NEED A NEW ROUTER? GET A BUFFALO [
    ] [
    ]
    I'M A PC AND WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA

jamsoup

Ok, can you recommend any? I know that copper sinks are better, but apart from that I have no idea how to tell one from the other.

Ebuyer Loyalist

stock heatsinks are find if your not overclocking - and CERTAINLY aren't the problem with his temps

/

Ebuyer Loyalist

Just a thought but where are you getting the readings from, i.e. BIOS or is it a a program like Speedfan

Regards
    Dan
    * i5 2500K + Corsair H100i * Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 * 8GB Exceleram White 1600Mhz * Samsung 840 250GB SSD * x1 1TB WD Caviar Black 64MB * Intel HD Graphics 3000 * Corsair AIR 540 * Corsair HX1000W * logitech Z2300 * Dell U2311H IPS *

jamsoup

both BIOS and AIDA32 confirm the same temperature....

Senior Ebuyer Addict

this one will cool better http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/101471

NEED A NEW ROUTER? GET A BUFFALO [
    ] [
    ]
    I'M A PC AND WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA

sorry this is off topic, but how do you check your temperature in AIDA32

jamsoup

go to sensors

My Username Lies

re-apply thermal paste properly.
    if temps still high update the bios.

Ebuyer Addict

Im using this > http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/120876

With arctic silver 5, keeps my overclocked E6600 @ 38c idle and ive never sein it pass 55c thats using Intel Thermal Analysis Tool(stress tester)
    Intel i7 920 D0@4GHz(Corsair Hydro H80i) - ASUS P6T iX58 - 16GB Corsair DDR3 XMS3 1600MHz - Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer - Corsair 120GB Force LS SSD(Win7) - Seagate SATAII 500GB(storage) - LG 24" LCD 1920x1200 - MSI GTX 760 2GB - Windows 8.1 Pro X64 - Corsair 750W TX PSU - Cooler Master HAF X Case

The stock HSF's are not the best but they should certainly cool better than that.

It's worth bearing in mind that the Mobo sensors are not always very accurate. I've also known some bios versions that can report temps too high, might be worth upgrading your bios if there's a newer one available.
    Please try not to participate in the same thread as me, if you have to make a point with Bad Language.

Ebuyer Enthusiast

My skt939 3000+ using stock fan reads 30C idle through the onboard sensor and through bios.

It's also using the stock fan.

Ebuyer Enthusiast

Unless you have applied the heat sink in the incorrect position I would seriously enquire on the airflow of your system, if it is 60 degrees idle it is probably safe to presume that your other hardware is above recommended operating temperature. I would investigate your airflow in your system before you purchase anything, a 1 quid fan might increase performance where a 30 quid heat sink may not.
    <a href="
    src="IMAGE_LOCATION" alt="[FSF Associate Member]" width="88" height="31" /></a>

Ebuyer Addict

check thats fans etc arent being blocked by dust or dirt too to stop them operating properly. try operating your pc with the side off for a bit, see if the temp goes down or not, u will no if you are getting good readings then or not. put ur hand on the side of the case too, see if it actually feels as hot as it says it is or not. that does seem very hot.
    I'm not going to bother documenting my rig. It sucks, lets leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
    buy some proper thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5 - get some, do NOT settle for something else because eBuyer don't sell it) and apply it
    im not so sure if the thermal paste quality is enitrely the case, unless he bought from somewhere else, the extra value thermal grease i bought off ebuyer i have applied on two cpu's, one i havent got the temps on (it has been running fine though), and on my new built pc, a core 2 duo e6420.

and that is idle between 28c - 36c 37 -44 load - with intel stock cooler (non overclocked)

the only things i can think off with this case is he hasnt installed the heatsink properly? because my friend didnt do his heatsink properly at first and his cpu overheated so bad the pc would just shut down withing 5 mins (hes running a quad core tho!)

or there isnt enough thermal paste applied - what ever the quality

poor pc case cooling can also be a factor, but 60c idle is bad.

Ebuyer Loyalist

the thermal paste probably isn't applied right, but why buy some eBuyer extra value stuff when you can get top of the line stuff for a fiver?

/

Ebuyer Enthusiast

I bet you it's nothing to do with the paste or the heat sink, I use a stock heat sink and the thin paste that comes with it and I run at 28 degree on my amd 3000+ 939 on my server. All I just have 2 conveniently placed fans, it's on 24/7 too load varies.
    <a href="

Ebuyer Loyalist

ReFoxed - have you ever tried splurging tons of thermal paste on your CPU? it's what i think he's done and it's why i think he's temps are fubared

/

Ebuyer Enthusiast

ReFoxed - have you ever tried splurging tons of thermal paste on your CPU? it's what i think he's done and it's why i think he's temps are fubared
    Well we can wait and see if he can confirm that he has bathed his mobo in grease, I can't see it happening myself but I guess it shouldn't be ruled out.
    <a href="

the thermal paste probably isn't applied right, but why buy some eBuyer extra value stuff when you can get top of the line stuff for a fiver?
    well, i guess befor i bought it, that would be a good question, in fact i think it was because i typed it in as thermal compound and i didnt see the arctic 1, it might have been on another page by price,

but hey, since iv bought it, i dont see how that arctic 1 can do much of a better job apart from life time length and some degrees slightly..

i will get some though when i buy my next case and move my stuff into it>

Ebuyer Loyalist

a few degrees is all it is, but if temps limit your overclock the it's a fiver well spent

/

a few degrees is all it is, but if temps limit your overclock the it's a fiver well spent
    i do want to overclock actually, but im not initialy an overclocker fan, i would overclock now but i cant on this asrock 4core dual

jamsoup

Well my motherboard temp is 40*c, its only my CPU which is 60*c. I applied new thermal paste but it only lowered it by like 2*c My airflow is fine I think.

double check the fastners on your cpu cooler is correctly on, if it is, i dont have a clue what could be wrong, maybe just faulty? did you install the cpu properly? could you have miss handled it? it might be static damage.., how long have u had the cpu? was it like this from the day u bought it, or just recently?

jamsoup

its the CPU that came with the computer about 2-3 years ago. I've only just cleaned it out and tbh I never measured the temperature before recently.

Quote Originally Posted by jamsoup View Post
    its the CPU that came with the computer about 2-3 years ago. I've only just cleaned it out and tbh I never measured the temperature before recently.
    its quite old, but the in any case, 60c isn't normal at all for idle temp for any cpu.

it can only be 3 things -

static damage, some how uv zapped it when cleaning it out or something, or just touching it wouth the anti static protection, and the cpu has been damaged.

when uv cleaned it out, uv not put the heatsink back on, or not the correct amount of thermal meterial.

Last of all - Dust build up, as your saying its 3 years old, but uv cleaned it out?
    i am thinking theres static damage maybe..

have u been having crashes/ random shutdowns/turn offs?

Have you checked if there's a bios update?????????

How warm does the HSF feel to the touch?
    Please try not to participate in the same thread as me, if you have to make a point with Bad Language.