+ Reply to Thread

Default Company won't refund me.

Hey guys I'll just give the quick run through of what has been going on.

- I placed an order 4 months ago for a laptop from a small private company
    - After repeatadly told that it's on it's way I had enough and asked for a refund a month ago
    - I have not recieved my money and have been trying to contact them.

I payed by debit card. By the distance selling law they should have payed me back within 30 days. I'm considering taking legal action, as it looks like I won't get my money back. Will I have a case that will do something about it?

The Ebuyer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Hey guys I'll just give the quick run through of what has been going on.

- I placed an order 4 months ago for a laptop from a small private company
    - After repeatadly told that it's on it's way I had enough and asked for a refund a month ago
    - I have not recieved my money and have been trying to contact them.

I payed by debit card. By the distance selling law they should have payed me back within 30 days. I'm considering taking legal action, as it looks like I won't get my money back. Will I have a case that will do something about it?
    Contact your bank to see if they can reverse the transaction.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

Write a letter to them with a deadline for issuing a refund. Remind them the exact date you requested a refund and that they have breached the distance selling regulations. In the letter state that if you don't receive a full refund by the deadline you set that you will contact your local citizens advice bureau.

That should do the trick in most cases, but if it doesn't then do contact your local CAB. Also worth trying what Paren said but I doub't you'll have much luck. Might be worth getting a credit card to use with companies you haven't bought from before. There are only a few big stores that I use my debit card with. All my other online/mail order shopping is done with a credit card.

Thanks guys. Just tried calling the bank but of course it's sunday.

I have not written a letter but I have wrote an email saying that if I do not get the refund within 14 days from today I will be taking this further, explaining the regulations. Is that ok? I know I wish I used my credit card now, but I hate using it if I have the money in the debit account. Luckily I have been alright with all my online transactions but this is the first major issue I have had.

The Ebuyer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Write a letter to them with a deadline for issuing a refund. Remind them the exact date you requested a refund and that they have breached the distance selling regulations. In the letter state that if you don't receive a full refund by the deadline you set that you will contact your local citizens advice bureau.

That should do the trick in most cases, but if it doesn't then do contact your local CAB. Also worth trying what Paren said but I doub't you'll have much luck. Might be worth getting a credit card to use with companies you haven't bought from before. There are only a few big stores that I use my debit card with. All my other online/mail order shopping is done with a credit card.
    You do obviously get better protection with credit cards, however, I have had my bank refund me once over an item I did not receive which I paid for using my debit card. The process did take a lot longer than if I had paid with a credit card but they refunded me nevertheless.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

Oh thats good then, I will see what the bank says tommorow then. If not i'll go down to the CAB like Tom said. If all else fails i'll go down with a bit of wood and a face full of rage. Wouldn't mind over 20-30 quid but when you spend up to nearly 2 grand you expect a bit of service. I'm actually going to build a desktop from this site after now.

The Sniper

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I agree with this advice. To add to it, send the letter via recorded delivery as you then have proof someone has received it (due to it being signed for).

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper Ash6 View Post
    I agree with this advice. To add to it, send the letter via recorded delivery as you then have proof someone has received it (due to it being signed for).
    Knew I'd forgotten something!