+ Reply to Thread

Default Itunes freezes when i plug in my ipod

Unfortunately, a couple of weeks ago i had to turn to apple..

My problem goes like this..

My ipod video (30gb 5th gen) keeps freezing and on a couple of occasions has frozen on specific songs, Which results in me having to do a forced reboot to the ipod itself.
    At the moment i use a software called media monkey with my ipod which i can just use for syncing, however it does not let me reformat the ipod. So i decided (regretfully) that i would download itunes. However, whenever i plug the ipod in when itunes is running, it will
    1) not recognise it, and
    2) Freeze the program
    Has anybody got any ideas on how to either stop my ipod from freezing up all the time, stop freezing itunes or how i could reformat it without using itunes.

Cheers, any comments would be appreciated.
    Last edited by The Watermelon; 2nd August 2010 at 10:34 AM.

My Username Lies

try another computer with iTunes

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Have done that, I tried it on my dads laptop which had windows 7 64bit (what i am also using) and it still seemed to freeze it.

Ebuyer Loyalist

I had this problem with my iphone, i re-installed itunes and after that it worked. if you google your problem there are loads of different solutions you can try.

Dan
    * i5 2500K + Corsair H100i * Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 * 8GB Exceleram White 1600Mhz * Samsung 840 250GB SSD * x1 1TB WD Caviar Black 64MB * Intel HD Graphics 3000 * Corsair AIR 540 * Corsair HX1000W * logitech Z2300 * Dell U2311H IPS *

Quote Originally Posted by bigdan676 View Post
    I had this problem with my iphone, i re-installed itunes and after that it worked. if you google your problem there are loads of different solutions you can try.

Dan
    I have also reinstalled itunes, on my computer, but the only thing i want to do is to reformat the ipod itsself. Because it keep s freezing and crashing, however i don't really want to do it in "my computer" as it will probably treat it like a hard disk, therefore getting rid of EVERYTHING on the ipod including the software, and as i don't have an installation disk (this ipod is second hand) I don't really feel like chancing it.

Ebuyer Legend

Go to an Apple store and try restoring it on a Mac.
    PC: i7 4770k | 32GB RAM | 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB | 2TB WD Red | Gainward GTX 760 Phantom 2GB
    BeQuiet! 630W PSU | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 MacBook: alu. unibody | 8GB RAM | Core2Duo P8600 2.4GHz
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB Server: HP ProLiant Microserver N36L | 1.3GHz Dual Core | 3GB RAM | Various HDDs

Ebuyer Addict

You don't format an ipod, you need to do a 'Restore' or Factory reset using itunes.

This will however, erase all your music.
    : CM 690 II ADV : HX 750 : Rampage II Extreme : i7 930 @ 4200mhz : 6GB Patriot Viper 1600 : GTX 285 SLI : Samsung 470 128GB RAID0 : W7Ux64 :

As i said earlier

whenever i plug the ipod in when itunes is running, it will

1) not recognise it, and

2) Freeze the program

I can't do anything to it to make it recognise my ipod.

Ebuyer Addict

in itunes, goto to edit, preferences and untick 'Prevent ipod, iphone, ipad from automatically syncing'.

Then plug in your ipod. After this it may allow you to restore.
    : CM 690 II ADV : HX 750 : Rampage II Extreme : i7 930 @ 4200mhz : 6GB Patriot Viper 1600 : GTX 285 SLI : Samsung 470 128GB RAID0 : W7Ux64 :

The Venomous one

Can't you factory reset it from the iPod itself? I'm not with mine so I can't check but I'm pretty sure this is doable..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by The Watermelon View Post
    As i said earlier

whenever i plug the ipod in when itunes is running, it will

1) not recognise it, and

2) Freeze the program

I can't do anything to it to make it recognise my ipod.
    Have you tried a "hard reset" of the device?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Have you tried a "hard reset" of the device?
    Do you mean holding down the menu and the select key at the same time to reset it completely? If you do, then yes, many a time

1. Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Slide it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    2. Press and hold the Menu and Center (Select) buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, about 6 to 10 seconds. You may need to repeat this step.

Tip:
    If you are having difficulty resetting your iPod, set it on a flat surface. Make sure the finger pressing the Select button is not touching any part of the click wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Menu button toward the outside of the click wheel, and not near the center.
    If the above steps did not work, try connecting iPod to a power adapter and plug the power adapter into an electrical outlet, or connect iPod to your computer. Make sure the computer is turned on and isn't set to go to sleep.

are you running win or mac?

i'm using windows 7 64bit.

have tried connecting your ipod in disk mode?

Instructions for disk mode

Putting iPods with a Click Wheel into disk mode
    Before placing the iPod into disk mode, you should verify that it is charged.
    Toggle the Hold switch on and off. (Set it to Hold, then turn it off again.)
    Press and hold the Menu and Select buttons for at least 6 seconds until the Apple logo appears.
    When the Apple logo appears, release the Menu and Select buttons and immediately press and hold the Select and the Play/Pause buttons until the Disk Mode screen appears.

Connect the iPod to your computer; the screen on the iPod will change and say "Do not disconnect"
    If you are having difficulty putting the iPod model into disk mode, set it on a flat surface. Make sure that the finger pressing the Select button is not touching the Click Wheel. Also make sure that you are pressing the Play/Pause button toward the outside of the Click Wheel and not near the center.

If you are still unable to put your iPod with a Click Wheel into Disk Mode, use one finger from one hand to press the Select button, and one finger from the other hand to press the Play/Pause button.

A Restore is as follows

1. Make sure you've reinstalled the latest version of iTunes.
    2. Open iTunes, and then connect your iPod to your computer.
    3. After a few moments, it will appear in the source list in iTunes. If the iPod's display doesn't show "Connected" or "Do not disconnect" you may need to put the iPod into disk mode to proceed.
    4. Select your iPod in the source list and you will see information about it appear in the Summary tab of the main iTunes windows.
    5. Click the Restore button. You will be prompted with one or more restore options that may prompt iTunes to automatically download of the latest iPod Software. The 4 possible restore options are:
    Restore Option 1: Restore - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod.
    Restore Option 2: Use Same Version - Restores with same iPod Software version already on iPod even though a newer version is available.
    Restore Option 3: Use Newest Version - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
    Restore Option 4: Restore and Update - Restores with the latest iPod Software on your computer.
    6. A progress bar will appear on the computer screen indicating that the first stage of the restore process has started. When this stage is completed, iTunes will instruct you to leave iPod connected to your computer to complete restore.
    7. During the stage 2 of the restore process, the iPod will show an Apple logo as well as a progress bar at the bottom of the display. It is critical that the iPod remains connected to the computer or iPod Power adapter during this stage. Note: The progress bar may be difficult to see since the backlight on the iPod display may be off.
    8. After stage 2 of the restore process is complete and the iPod is connected to the computer, the iTunes Setup Assistant window will appear asking you to name your iPod and choose your syncing preferences similar to when you connected your iPod for the first time.

Right, i've put it into disk mode, but itunes still freezes. Bear in mind that this is the latest version of it and i am using windows 7 64 bit. What can i do to stop it from freezing? (it's not the only computer this has done it on)

EDIT

i just found this on the net.

I've found the solution!!! I had the exact same problem. My itunes would keep freezing and I would get the blue screen of death (which is the first time I've seen it on Vista...kinda cool) Anways, what you gotta do, is connect ur iPod to ur computer. iTunes will run and connect ur iPod, but it won't sync to iTunes. This is typically when iTunes freezes, so you have to close iTunes (Alt + Ctrl + Del) or by clicking the X button maniacly to close it. Go to My Computer, and you should see a separate drive for your iPod. Right click it and click on "Format." (KEEP IN MIND: this WILL delete everything on ur iPod, so make sure all ur music/movies/pictures are still all on ur computer) Then just click format and it'll ask you, are you sure? Say yes. This takes awhile...around 30 minutes to an hour. I lost track of time while it was reformatting. Then when you open up iTunes again, your iPod will finally sync, but Restore it, so that you basically just reset ur ENTIRE ipod so it's as if you took it out of its box yesterday (Minus the scratchy exterior). Then it's as if it's brand new. Put music on it and sync, and VOILA!

If i do this in my computer, does that mean the apple hardware will be wiped as well? Or will it stay on. If so, would i be able to get the firmware back onto the ipod?
    Last edited by The Watermelon; 2nd August 2010 at 12:08 PM.

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Right, i've put it into disk mode, but itunes still freezes. Bear in mind that this is the latest version of it and i am using windows 7 64 bit. What can i do to stop it from freezing? (it's not the only computer this has done it on)

EDIT

i just found this on the net.

I've found the solution!!! I had the exact same problem. My itunes would keep freezing and I would get the blue screen of death (which is the first time I've seen it on Vista...kinda cool) Anways, what you gotta do, is connect ur iPod to ur computer. iTunes will run and connect ur iPod, but it won't sync to iTunes. This is typically when iTunes freezes, so you have to close iTunes (Alt + Ctrl + Del) or by clicking the X button maniacly to close it. Go to My Computer, and you should see a separate drive for your iPod. Right click it and click on "Format." (KEEP IN MIND: this WILL delete everything on ur iPod, so make sure all ur music/movies/pictures are still all on ur computer) Then just click format and it'll ask you, are you sure? Say yes. This takes awhile...around 30 minutes to an hour. I lost track of time while it was reformatting. Then when you open up iTunes again, your iPod will finally sync, but Restore it, so that you basically just reset ur ENTIRE ipod so it's as if you took it out of its box yesterday (Minus the scratchy exterior). Then it's as if it's brand new. Put music on it and sync, and VOILA!

If i do this in my computer, does that mean the apple hardware will be wiped as well? Or will it stay on. If so, would i be able to get the firmware back onto the ipod?
    I was gonna suggest something like this, I'm fairly sure you can just recover it via itunes. Either format it via windows, of if it wont do that then get something like gparted and format it with that. Should be able to restore the firmware / whatever via itunes after that.

i'm going to try and format it via windows, thanks for the help everyone, I will let you know how it turns out

The firmware should be intact as it should have a recovery partition/ ipod structure partition

Cheers for all the help guys, I just did a format and that seems to like syncing my ipod now. Now just how to get music from itunes onto my ipod.. >.<

The Venomous one

Press "Sync All Music" sorted!

It came up with a (-69) error about not being able to copy certain songs across which then resulted in the whole sync being stopped. Could this be because i have media monkey and itunes on the same computer? So it's getting confused?

Ebuyer Legend

Try restoring the firmware
    PC: i7 4770k | 32GB RAM | 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB | 2TB WD Red | Gainward GTX 760 Phantom 2GB
    BeQuiet! 630W PSU | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 MacBook: alu. unibody | 8GB RAM | Core2Duo P8600 2.4GHz
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB Server: HP ProLiant Microserver N36L | 1.3GHz Dual Core | 3GB RAM | Various HDDs

how do i do that?

sanda0763

I have also reinstalled itunes, on my computer, but the only thing i want to do is to reformat the ipod itsself.