+ Reply to Thread
    The "Gadget" Dude

Default Routing issue with Sky Sagem router

Hi Guys, hopefully there will be someone on here who can help me or I may have to change my entire local DSL setup

At the moment I have the Sagem Sky router connected to my master socket, this is setup with a LAN IP address of 192.168.1.1/24, DHCP is turned on (setup only to give out 192.168.1.100, as I sometimes connect a VPN phone directly to this router rather than the DLink (see below)), wireless is turned off.

The virtual server/firewall is setup to send any and all incoming traffic to the IP address 192.168.1.254.

192.168.1.254 is the IP address of the WAN port of my D-Link 615 cable router, the Dlink has a default gateway set of 192.168.1.1. The LAN side of the DLink is setup on 192.168.0.1/24, this has DHCP turned fully on (all IP addresses given out via address reservation, so the devices always get the same IP addresses without me having to go to each and statically assign them) and the virtual server/firewall on this actually does the NAT'ing and firewall blocking.

This setup works perfectly, any computer/device gets a 192.168.0.x address and can surf the web, host an FTP server etc etc with no issues. I can also from a PC on this subnet connect to the sky router on 192.168.1.1, so I know there is a path out from the 192.168.0.x subnet to the 192.168.1.x subnet.

The issue I have is if I connect a laptop directly to the sky router I cannot communicate with any device on the 192.168.0.x subnet. The laptop gets the address of 192.168.1.100 (as it should) and can surf the web and communicate with the sky router but that is all.

I have checked the routing table on the sky router and it has 3 entries:-

Destination - Mask - Gateway
    public gateway address - 255.255.255.255 - 0.0.0.0
    192.168.1.0 - 255.255.255.0 - 0.0.0.0
    0.0.0.0 - 0.0.0.0 - public gateway address

Now I understand routing tables so I know the reason I cannot communicate from the 192.168.1.x subnet to the 192.168.0.x subnet, is that the wildcard route of 0.0.0.0 is set to send everything to the public gateway.

So after all the above my simple question is how can I add a route to the sagem for

192.168.0.0 - 255.255.255.0 - 192.168.1.254

so that any communications with the 192.168.0.x subnet is sent to the Dlink routers WAN address.

In case anyone asks the sky router and the dlink router are on seperate floors and are connected by a CAT5e cable that goes through the roof/floor and it isnt practical for me to run another cable back from the Dlink to downstairs.

The only current device downstairs is a laptop which connects to the 192.168.0.x subnet wirelessly. I am looking to add a media streamer to downstairs so that it can pull media off the main PC upstairs, but as at the moment it would need to connect to the 192.168.1.x subnet I cant get it to speak to the server upstairs.

Hope this is enough information but if you have any questions please ask.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Venomous one

I might be wrong but when you try to access anything on the 192.168.0.x subnet from your 192.168.1.x network, its going through the WAN port on your DLink router. This is then interpretted as an "internet ip" request and thus blocks it.

Wouldn't the way round to be just forward the traffic to the computer which you would like to communicate with on the Dlink? Then to access the computer you would navigate to the WAN address of the Dlink?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The "Gadget" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    I might be wrong but when you try to access anything on the 192.168.0.x subnet from your 192.168.1.x network, its going through the WAN port on your DLink router. This is then interpretted as an "internet ip" request and thus blocks it.

Wouldn't the way round to be just forward the traffic to the computer which you would like to communicate with on the Dlink? Then to access the computer you would navigate to the WAN address of the Dlink?
    I think the problem is that because there is no route on the Sky router I cannot even ping from the sky router to the DLinks WAN address as it sends any data destined for the 192.168.0.x subnet out to the big bad world, rather than to the DLink router.

To confirm this I can ping the WAN ip of the DLink on 192.168.1.254 from the sky router, but I cannot ping the LAN ip of the DLink on 192.168.0.1.

I cant do any real testing at the moment as I am at work, but I can get onto both routers and run ping tests between them if need be.

The Venomous one

You wouldn't be able to ping the LAN IP of the Dlink either as it still counts as an external IP address. If you can ping the WAN IP of the Dlink, it means you just need to forward the traffic to the specific computer.

The "Gadget" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    You wouldn't be able to ping the LAN IP of the Dlink either as it still counts as an external IP address. If you can ping the WAN IP of the Dlink, it means you just need to forward the traffic to the specific computer.
    Okay I have tried sticking the PC on the 192.168.0.x network I want to communicate with in the DMZ, and setup an incoming access list of ip addresses (192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254) that are allowed into this network regardless of the port they are using but I still cannot ping that from the sky router.

Everyone (apart from you ) I have spoken to says its because of the routing table on the sky router, it is trying to send the data for 192.168.0.x stuff to the WAN of the sky router and not the LAN.

So I appreciate the ideas - and I am trying them, but I need to know if anyone knows how to add a route to this sky router.

Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by pepp77 View Post
    okay i have tried sticking the pc on the 192.168.0.x network i want to communicate with in the dmz, and setup an incoming access list of ip addresses (192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254) that are allowed into this network regardless of the port they are using but i still cannot ping that from the sky router.

Everyone (apart from you ) i have spoken to says its because of the routing table on the sky router, it is trying to send the data for 192.168.0.x stuff to the wan of the sky router and not the lan.

So i appreciate the ideas - and i am trying them, but i need to know if anyone knows how to add a route to this sky router.
    Ok can you tellnet into it and see what options it gives you. - Eg i can telnet and do ip rtadd ENTRY
    Last edited by will1987; 18th March 2010 at 01:20 PM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 | MSI x58 Pro | 6GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Asus HD 4770 | Antec 300 | 22" 1920x1080 | Windows 7 x64

The "Gadget" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by will1987 View Post
    Ok can you tellnet into it and see what options it gives you. - Eg i can telnet and do ip rtadd ENTRY
    After installing Telnet (bloody vista), the router doesnt give any options back when telnet'd to and if you press enter it closes the telnet connection.

I did some googling on the routing table on this router and the results show an option to change the routes, but my router doesnt have that option on it, I'm beginning to think this cant be done and I will have to rethink this setup.

Shame really because apart from this one issue the setup is perfect for my needs.

Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Pepp77 View Post
    After installing Telnet (bloody vista), the router doesnt give any options back when telnet'd to and if you press enter it closes the telnet connection.

I did some googling on the routing table on this router and the results show an option to change the routes, but my router doesnt have that option on it, I'm beginning to think this cant be done and I will have to rethink this setup.

Shame really because apart from this one issue the setup is perfect for my needs.
    I would use putty http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ as it will deal with it a bit better. (http://portableapps.com/apps/internet/putty_portable portable version if you prefer)

login and type help. look for ip, route, config etc stuff like that and then type help ip etc to see what it can do.

I would image it can via telnet, just the sky firmware hides it as most users don't need it
    Last edited by will1987; 18th March 2010 at 02:00 PM.
    Desktop: Intel i7 920 | MSI x58 Pro | 6GB RAM | Crucial M4 128GB SSD | 1TB HDD | Asus HD 4770 | Antec 300 | 22" 1920x1080 | Windows 7 x64

The "Gadget" Dude

Right I have another idea of what I can do. I cant run another cable, but as I have 4 pairs in the current cable and only pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 are used for ethernet I think I will buy 2 x double cat5 sockets and punch the cable down into that to give me two sockets downstairs and two sockets upstairs (Ill just use the blue/brown pairs for the second socket), I can then use one socket to take the connection from the router downstairs to the router upstairs, and the other socket to take a connection from the router upstairs to the media streamer downstairs, this will mean the media streamer will be on the 192.168.0.x subnet and none of this routing will be an issue.

Now although I work in telecoms I dont generally deal with any cabling so dont have access to any sockets easily, anyone know the best place to get a couple of decent cheap ones (tools are not an issue).

Ebuyer Addict

Right I have another idea of what I can do. I cant run another cable, but as I have 4 pairs in the current cable and only pins 1, 2, 3 and 6 are used for ethernet I think I will buy 2 x double cat5 sockets and punch the cable down into that to give me two sockets downstairs and two sockets upstairs (Ill just use the blue/brown pairs for the second socket), I can then use one socket to take the connection from the router downstairs to the router upstairs, and the other socket to take a connection from the router upstairs to the media streamer downstairs, this will mean the media streamer will be on the 192.168.0.x subnet and none of this routing will be an issue.

Now although I work in telecoms I dont generally deal with any cabling so dont have access to any sockets easily, anyone know the best place to get a couple of decent cheap ones (tools are not an issue).
    No luck with putty then?

Well if your giving up with the routing tables, can't you just make your dlink effectively a switch and let your sky router give out ip addresses to everything?

The "Gadget" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by will1987 View Post
    No luck with putty then?

Well if your giving up with the routing tables, can't you just make your dlink effectively a switch and let your sky router give out ip addresses to everything?
    Im not in a position to test putty because I am at work at the moment.

Im not giving up just trying to find the easiest solution

The reason I dont want to use the sky router as the DHCP server/firewall etc is because

A. Its not that great
    B. The Dlink is an N router and does give better wireless coverage
    C. I did actually try that as the setup when I first got sky, but I had more issues getting that to do what I wanted than the current setup (hey Im honest!).
    D. Im stubborn and want to be able to continue using the setup I have

Also Ive just had a look round my stock room and found 2 x double sockets and back boxes that I can take home and install tonight.

Ebuyer Addict

Im not in a position to test putty because I am at work at the moment.

Im not giving up just trying to find the easiest solution

The reason I dont want to use the sky router as the DHCP server/firewall etc is because

A. Its not that great
    B. The Dlink is an N router and does give better wireless coverage
    C. I did actually try that as the setup when I first got sky, but I had more issues getting that to do what I wanted than the current setup (hey Im honest!).
    D. Im stubborn and want to be able to continue using the setup I have

Also Ive just had a look round my stock room and found 2 x double sockets and back boxes that I can take home and install tonight.

No you could still use the Dlink's wireless N - just sky would give out the IPs.

Ok well let me know how it goes when you get home once you have decent telnet access it will be a min or two and it should all play nice
    Last edited by will1987; 18th March 2010 at 02:49 PM.

Untested, but you can add static routes to your sky router by going to http://192.168.0.1/sky_static_routes-add.html.

To view your static routes you can go to http://192.168.0.1/sky_static_routes.html

The "Gadget" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by 01706 View Post
    Untested, but you can add static routes to your sky router by going to http://192.168.0.1/sky_static_routes-add.html.

To view your static routes you can go to http://192.168.0.1/sky_static_routes.html
    Well that is the page I was looking for but although it allows me to get to it and I can enter a route it doesnt save it (I tried a couple of times).

That actual page used to have a menu option on the router but it looks like it was removed at some point, because it isnt an option to me.

Thanks for finding it though.

Have had a talk about this here and have decided to go with the cat5 socket option (seeing as how my boss let me take the two sets I found for free).

The "Gadget" Dude

Installed the cat5e socket this morning. Works perfectly, so now I have a double socket in the living room and a double socket in the bedroom. Although it will be no good for gigabit as I have only used 2 pair per socket. Still cant see that being an issue for the foreseeable future.