+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Ebuyer Addict

Default Best Bank Account for a 17 year old?

Well, seeing as I'm 17 now, I figured it'd be a good idea to get a bank account (for when I bother to get a job, and so I don't have to keep cash with me all the time).

I was looking at the Halifax EasyCash and CashCard accounts, but I'm not sure what the difference between the two is, except that CashCard has to be set up via phone or in person, and EasyCash can be set up online.

I'm really just looking for something that money can go into, and something that gives me some sort of debit-card-type-thing and lets me get money out of an ATM (as well as lets me transfer/manage it online).

Anyone have any ideas/experience/help? [=
    GA-P35C-DS3R-|- C2D E6750 @ 3.2GHz-|- Zotac 8800GT -|- 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 -|- 500GB Samsung Spinpoint -|- CM eXtreme Power 460W -|- CM Elite 330

Ebuyer Loyalist

Natwest have always been excellent to me. Great service and lots of help if needs be.
    Core i5 2500 3.3GHz /// Asus P8H67-V R3 /// G-Skill 8G DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX /// Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition /// WD 500gb Caviar Blue /// Casecom KM-6988 /// Corsair HX520w

Halifax is brilliant, I have the CashCard. I've had it for a couple of years, I'm 17.

Online banking is easy and drawing from ATM/Chip&pin etc is all allowed. I recc Halifax. x

Ebuyer Loyalist

Alliance and Leicester will do what you want as well - but the interest rates aren't immense (any more).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Aitken08 View Post
    Natwest have always been excellent to me. Great service and lots of help if needs be.
    natwest r a pile of sh*t. i orginally applied like 3 months ago, n there has always been something wrong about the application, first time it was my fault, last 4 times its them being fussy. im going to try HSBC, and i bet i get in first time
    Acer Aspire 5755G Spec: Intel Core i5 2450M 2.5GHz Turbo Boost 3.1GHz | 8GB DDR3 RAM | 500GB HDD | 15.6" LED HD Screen | nVidia GeForce GT630M 1GB | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Ebuyer Enthusiast

Im currently at Abbey National, been with them now for 3/4 years. They've always been brilliant with me. Just opened 2 more accounts with them. Both with standing orders to save up my spare money. Which they sorted out quickly and was very helpful.

The "PlayStation" Dude

I've been with Abbey National since I was exactly one month old lol. I think Halifax are better though, I'll be getting a new bank account when I'm 18 so I'll probably move over to Halifax then.

|
    |

Ebuyer Loyalist

Quote Originally Posted by tomtoon View Post
    natwest r a pile of sh*t. i orginally applied like 3 months ago, n there has always been something wrong about the application, first time it was my fault, last 4 times its them being fussy. im going to try HSBC, and i bet i get in first time
    Guess you have just been unlucky. The Local branch has always been excellent. Online banking is quick and easy with them too.

EDIT: Cheers Leonhutton. Silly mistake! :o
    Last edited by Aitken08; 22nd September 2009 at 08:39 PM.
    Core i5 2500 3.3GHz /// Asus P8H67-V R3 /// G-Skill 8G DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX /// Gigabyte GTX 560 OC Edition /// WD 500gb Caviar Blue /// Casecom KM-6988 /// Corsair HX520w

The "PlayStation" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Aitken08 View Post
    Quess you have just been unlucky. The Local branch has always been excellent. Online banking is quick and easy with them too.
    Typo?

Also, just to add, my sister has a Natwest account and never had any trouble with them.

|
    |

The Ebuyer Elite

Alliance and Leicester is my main account and they've been fine for the 5/6 years that I've been with them. I also have an ISA which I put spare cash in, you might also want to consider something similar.

I've also got accounts with Lloyds TSB, Barclays, NatWest (closing soon due to some problems I've had) and Santander.

EDIT: ....And HSBC.
    Last edited by Paren; 22nd September 2009 at 08:48 PM.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

The Big B!

I'm a happy NatWest customer...

CSpectre

Quote Originally Posted by Paren View Post
    I've also got accounts with Lloyds TSB, Barclays, NatWest (closing soon due to some problems I've had) and Santander.
    Thats quite a few. My accounts are with Barclays, Barclays, and erm Barclays.

Although that doesnt include my high flying esaver with Abbey which has a balance of 57 pence, although that was last year so it might be 57.02 pence now.

Been with Barclays since I was 16, no problems to date.

Ebuyer Addict

Am 17 now, been with natwest since 13/14 years old. I have had no problems at all + I order lots of stuff online and once I went minus but they did not charge or anything.
    STORM SCOUT-|-Q6600-|-ARCTIC FREEZER 7 PRO -|-GA-G41-ESLM -|- OCZ 2GB-|-On Board-|-CORSAIR TX650W-|- SAMSUNG F1 640GB -|- SAMSUNG 20" MONITOR -|- WINDOWS 7 HP X86

The Ebuyer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by CSpectre View Post
    Thats quite a few. My accounts are with Barclays, Barclays, and erm Barclays.

Although that doesnt include my high flying esaver with Abbey which has a balance of 57 pence, although that was last year so it might be 57.02 pence now.

Been with Barclays since I was 16, no problems to date.
    Yeah well I opened them over the years mainly as spare accounts (in case if I lost my Alliance & Leicester debit card and needed cash ASAP then I can use another account etc).

Some people may think it's sad but I always like having backups for everything lol.

EDIT: I just remembered, I also have an account with HSBC lol.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

Ebuyer Loyalist

If were playing the "bank account game".

I had an HSBC account with 0.1% interest (I **** you not!), which has 1p in the savings account, and 1p in the current account (Keeping it open "just in case" my other cards collapse and I need to move money around via BACS fast...!). I have a Halifax student account, which, due to the carp interest rate is just being used for my overdraft. My "day-to-day" bank is Alliance and Leciester, but I plan on moving soon to something with a better interest rate soon.

They are all very similar tbh, it's just a different name on the card for the most part - theres no bank thats been horrible or amazing, they all do what they promised and if you think that deserves praise then ok - but imo no bank deserves loyalty.

/

Im with Barclays and have a "Student Account" which means I dont get charged if I over into the black. They also have the easiest online banking I've ever used
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz | G-Skill RipjawsX 8GB | ATI HD6790 | Gigabyte GA-Z68A | Coolermaster Centurion 5 II

Senior Ebuyer Addict

not a bank but a building society Nationwide not had any problems with them

NEED A NEW ROUTER? GET A BUFFALO [
    ] [
    ]
    I'M A PC AND WINDOWS 7 WAS MY IDEA

Ebuyer Legend

Quote Originally Posted by RyanBRFC View Post
    Im with Barclays and have a "Student Account" which means I dont get charged if I over into the black. They also have the easiest online banking I've ever used
    You mean the red? No bank would charge you for being in the black!
    PC: i7 4770k | 32GB RAM | 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB | 2TB WD Red | Gainward GTX 760 Phantom 2GB
    BeQuiet! 630W PSU | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 MacBook: alu. unibody | 8GB RAM | Core2Duo P8600 2.4GHz
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB Server: HP ProLiant Microserver N36L | 1.3GHz Dual Core | 3GB RAM | Various HDDs

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Hmm... Okay. Well, I think I may as well go with Halifax, although the CashCard one isn't available to set up online...

Anyways, shall sleep on it. I don't actually need it for another couple of weeks anyways...
    GA-P35C-DS3R-|- C2D E6750 @ 3.2GHz-|- Zotac 8800GT -|- 4GB OCZ Platinum PC2-6400 -|- 500GB Samsung Spinpoint -|- CM eXtreme Power 460W -|- CM Elite 330

All in the game, yo...

HSBC. Great bank.
    Live for the GTi-6

Ebuyer Addict

Card Cash is quite good. Though I automatically got my account upgraded to a Card Cash account when I turned 16.

The Circuit Wizard

Lloyds TSB for me. I went overdrawn by about 6 for 3 days, charges came to something like 35, but I went in and they were happy enough to remove them for me

Ebuyer Addict

Alliance and leicester, Abbey and bradford and bingly are all being borged into santander. I have found dealing with Barclays to be a nightmare, getting anyone to call you back is very difficult. I have now switched my business banking to A&L and their operating charges are far less and the service is much better. The internet banking interface isn't brilliant, but it does seem to work OK. My personal account is still with Barclays, but I am looking around to move it.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_ View Post
    You mean the red? No bank would charge you for being in the black!
    Thats what I meant
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.1GHz | G-Skill RipjawsX 8GB | ATI HD6790 | Gigabyte GA-Z68A | Coolermaster Centurion 5 II

Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Mattbot2 View Post
    HSBC. Great bank.
    The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation, The World's local bank, based 5000 miles away in a communist country.

The Now Show FTW

Ebuyer Loyalist

im with nationwide and havnt ever had problems
    Intel 2600k l 8GB Crucial 1333mhz l 1GB 7850 l 120GB+1TB l Xonar D1 l Antec True Power Trio 550w l Antec Atlas l Windows 7 Pro 64

HSBC is such a rubbish bank to go with. Interest is just rubbish - had over a 1000 once in there and they only gave me 5p for it. Plus they do not want to close Banks Accounts either...mine is still open even though I've asked them to close it over a year ago! Don't go with them or they'll hang on to you forever!

I'm currently with Lloyds TSB right now, interest is alright, nothing special with them yet. Support is good aswell.

The "Internet" Dude

Happy natwest customer here, I would steer clear of Lloyds though, pile of *** around here ... I think you will find though that each bank varies depending on your local branch etc.
    Asus P6T6 WSR, Intel i7 965, 6gb OCZ, GTX 285 OCX, Kingston 64gb SSD, Corsair HX1000.

Go for lloyds tsb.
    im 16 and have a visa debit card with online banking - the lot.
    took me 10mins to setup in the branch

Ebuyer Addict

Best Bank Account for a 17 year old?

The Bank of Dad.

Although usually only works for small transactions on an occasional basis, ie, "Dad, can I have some money for a haircut?" etc.