This is a simple cheap mouse mod any one can do to improve the feel and look of a cheap mouse.
The Story of this mod started a year back, when *someone who wasn't ebuyer* was selling the gigabyte GM-M6800 mouse, for just just £6.99, it's now gone up the a lofty £7.99 on play.com
You can now also get the Gigabyte GM-M6880, which is a laser version of the same mouse for massive amount of £9.99
Now while I used the GM-M6800 for this mod, it should work for any cheap mouse
Here's what the GM-M6800 looks like in it's un-modded natural state
Gigabyte Product page
It's a dirt cheap optical mouse, with two speed setting and 2 side buttons.
Personally I think it's a nice shape and fit my hand quite well.
The down sides was an overall light weight and cheap feel, so I've had a go at modding it.
Oh and Apologies for the bad photo's, energy effecent light bulbs,black plastic and my old cheap digital cameras just never seemed to work well together.
Part 1: Skinning a mouse.
For anyone who's never opened up a mouse before it's fairly easy, there well be one or more screws on the bottom, for which you'll need a thin crosspoint screwdriver, jeweller type as a standard screwdriver head is too thick to allow access to the sunk screws.
Now normally (infact on every other mouse I've opened) the screw is ether exposed or hidden under the serial number/information sticker.
Simple way to locate such a hidden screw is just to run the tip of the screwdriver over the sticker untill it "dips" in and there is the screw.
I did the same on this mouse found a dip of about the correct size, however after carefully cutting open the sticker I found it's a moulding point :confused:
This is a bit odd as moulding points are normally on the inside.
I next peeled away one of the side rubber panels on a hunch, there are a few small square holes under it and I got a bad feeling that this mouse might be held together by plastic clips and not a single screw was involved, which would make it next to impossible to open without breaking.
Luckly that is not the case, which I discovered when I peeled away one of the feet and I found the screws hideing under it.
There were 6 screws in total, 2 under both the top and bottom feet and 1 each under the left and right feet.
Normally a cheap mouse only has one or two screws, even more expensive mice don't notmally have 6 screws.
Now on this mouse you only need to remove the top two and bottom two screws at first, these screws hold in the top section.
ok not easy to see here but the top is actually made up of two peices sandwiched together.
and held together by one screw (which can just been seen below the wire)
There's curcit board sandwiched between the two parts, which has the microswitchs for the side buttons and the speed button on it, this curcit board is held on to the lower part by a couple of screws (I didn't try to remove it)
The two side sections are held on by both a single screw on the bottom and a single screw on the inside near the front.
Here it is broken down into all 4 parts.
I had a go at removeing the main curcit board which is held on by 4 screws, however before you can take that off you need to remove the wheel section and I couldn't get it off.
The wheel section is held in by a plastic pin at the front, which I could detach and a clip arrangement at the back which I could not realease and didn't want to break it so for now I gave up.
Normally the main curcit board in a cheap mouse is lose, just held inplace by a couple of plastic plugs/pins extruded up from the bottom half, these pins just keep in horizontal position so it doesn't slide about indies the case and some extruded lugs on the top half of the case , to press down on the curcit board so it cannot lift up / move vertically in the case when it's closed.