+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ebuyer Loyalist

Quote Originally Posted by Wiki on Stowmarket
    The church of St Peter and St Mary is in the ‘Decorated’ style and dates to the 14th century. The 16th century vicarage has associations with the poet John Milton through his tutor, Dr Thomas Young who became vicar of Stowmarket in 1628. Milton made regular visits to the town, and ‘Milton’s Tree’ in the grounds of a former vicarage is believed to be an offshoot of one of the many trees he planted there.
    Other notable residents included political writer William Godwin, who spent time as minister at the Stowmarket Independent Church, and West-End star Kerry Ellis. Delia Smith also resides nearby in Combs. Stow has produced two footballers, James Scowcroft who played for the local junior sides and Ipswich Town also England international, Matthew Upson was born in Stowmarket and raised in a nearby local village. As well as poet George Crabbe, who went to school in the town.
    Disaster struck Stowmarket on 11 August 1871, when an explosion at a local gun cotton factory claimed twenty-eight lives.
    Stowmarket has received welcome press coverage in local papers on annual events in summer time such as the well-attended Carnival and the recent music festival "Stow-Fest". These events are often attended by hundreds of people and numerous local bands have gained popularity and record levels playing at "Stow-Fest".
    Stowmarket achieved national fame as a result of being frequently mentioned by the broadcaster John Peel who lived nearby until his death in 2004.
    Opened in 1967, the Museum of East Anglian Life occupies a 70 acre (283,000 m˛) site close to the town centre

Wiki doesn't have anything about my Village

The most exciting thing thats ever happened here was the dust-storm in the 80's and the local Marrow Growing competition - it's like living in a Midsummer Murders village
    Last edited by Jakg; 27th September 2008 at 06:46 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    /
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by computernoob View Post
    thats some pretty good stalking IMHO.
    tricky but not impossible to imagine what the street would look like from the air.
    Actually it was quite easy for a few reasons.

I pin pointed it on a map, I live opposite a fenced of triangular section, right next to some woods (you don't get MANY woods in South East London as it is), and there's a horrible old blue transit van outside my house from the man next door.

Would be much harder if I hadn't have mapped myself and spoke of my surroundings.

Like I say, I don't think anyone wants to attempt anything regarding stalking me or my flat... And if they even considered it they'd be pretty sad.
    PROCESSOR: AMD X4 630 (UNLOCKED Phenom II @ 3.2Ghz) RAM: 4GB 1333MHZ KINGSTON DDR3 MOBO: ASROCK M3A770DE GFX CARD: INNO3D GTX460
    HARD DRIVE: HITACHI DESKSTAR 320GB PSU: CM SILENT PRO MODULAR 700W CASE CM STORM SCOUT

Senior Ebuyer Addict

The first UK travel lodge was opened on the A road just outside the village.

I think that's about all that's interesting .
    irc.j3di.org #ebuyer

The Ebuyer Elite

My town is nothing special. We used to have a Mercian Prince who was assassinated but was regarded as a Martyr. We also used to have a notorious highwayman or something.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

Ebuyer Enthusiast

From higher blackley, manchester apart from man utd theres nothing special or anything to be proud of, no pictures as its always raining here

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Back from the dead!

I didn't see this thread the first time around, but have enjoyed having a read through it so thought I'd kick it off again.

I'm originally from Blackpool, spent much of my life living in Widnes, but now call Goole home. Goole is part of the East Riding of Yorkshire and lies approximately 5 miles away from Ebuyer towers.

Cornelius Vermuyden is perhaps the most notable previous inhabitant, with manu local landmarks/facilities bearing his name.

Historically a dock town, it has grown and adapted over the years although much of it's employment is still derived from the waterways.

Most well known landmarks are probably the "salt and pepper pot" twin water towers.

I'm sure a lot of you guys have moved since this thread was created, and even more of you probably weren't even members back then, so why not share some interesting facts about where you live?
    Last edited by faulknerm; 6th July 2011 at 12:57 PM.
    "Never give up. Never, never give up!. We shall go on to the end." Winston Churchill

Senior Ebuyer Addict

Worcester - Lived here all my life.

It's located in the west midlands, as pictured below

Famous for the historic cathedral which is located along side the river seven as pictured above.

Worcester sauce of course

They'res also lots of other attractions, the commandary, Worcester rugby club, Worcester cricket club, historic Victorian buildings dotted around the town center etc, Worcester porcelain is another big one.

Our council planned to twin us with Gaza.. as you do.

and yeah.. very busy place to live, loads of retail shops in the town centre (renowned for being a great shopping area) and an ever expanding amount of houses too.
    Last edited by Nathan94; 6th July 2011 at 01:27 PM.

MY
    /
    /

Ebuyer Loyalist

Scunthorpe. Famous for having a rather vulgar obscenity in it's name and being a cesspit.
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k 3.3Ghz w/ Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVORAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600mhz Motherboard: Asus P8Z68-V LX Graphics: Sapphire HD4850 512MB Hard Drives: Crucial M4 128GB SSD & Western Digital HDD 3.5 TB total PSU/Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 w/ 460W PSU Display: LG W2361V 23" 1080p

The Bogey

birkenhead

the place where nothing has or ever will happen
    My music taste is better than yours.

Ebuyer Loyalist

interesting thread, Well i live in Alvaston, which is in Derby.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alva...gl=uk&t=h&z=15

Great area, very quite which is good.

Anyway back onto my Hometown of Derby.

Latest news is Bombardier - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14043638
    (Which is a real big shame at the moment)

More info on Derby - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby
    http://www.visitderby.co.uk/around-derby

Nice hotel - http://www.horsleylodge.co.uk/

Some pics

(new ish shopping centre, Westfeild Derby)

If anyone wants to know anything about Derby let me know i will be happy to help.

Dan
    Last edited by Dan_S; 6th July 2011 at 04:41 PM.
    * i5 2500K + Corsair H100i * Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 * 8GB Exceleram White 1600Mhz * Samsung 840 250GB SSD * x1 1TB WD Caviar Black 64MB * Intel HD Graphics 3000 * Corsair AIR 540 * Corsair HX1000W * logitech Z2300 * Dell U2311H IPS *

Ebuyer Addict

Royal Deeside.
    http://www.royal-deeside.org.uk/

Balmoral Castle is just up the road (well not _just_, but not too far away).

We have highland games here.

And the other 364 days a year, **** all except for golf courses.

Much the same as St Andrews (where I attend uni).
    "I dont want to waste my days prolonging them." Ian Fleming

Keyboard Warrior

Gatehead (near Newcastle). We have the Metro Centre:

Which is the biggest shopping centre in Europe. Few famous footballers, Cheryl Cole went to school here, dunno if she lived here or Newcastle. Used to be full of coal miners back in the day, as well as ship yard workers etc.

Phenom II X6 1055T .::. Asus M4A88T-V EVO .::. XFX HD 5830 XXX .::. 8GB Corsair XMS3 .::. 640GB WD F1 .::. OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W .::. Antec P182 .::. Samsung SyncMaster 21.6" .::. Windows 7 Pro .::.

Quote Originally Posted by CallumRogan View Post
    birkenhead

the place where nothing has or ever will happen

Ferry docks there several times a day!

My home town...Dungannon is sort of a cesspit although I live in the country rather than town.

I cant find a picture that shows how awful it is, only ones that manage to make it look good.

Famous people from here... Chris Meeke a rally driver who was on TG the other week along with Amy Williams who slides around on ice. Darren Clarke who is quite a successful golfer.
    Gigabyte Z87-D3HP-CF | Intel i5 4670k | 8GB Corsair DDR3 | Powercolour HD6850 PCS+ | Asus Xonar DGX |Crucial M4 128GB | x2 Samsung F3's 1TB | Gelid Tranquillo Cooler | Corsair 520HX | Fractal R4 | Dell U2311H | Logitech G9X, G710+ & X-540

Batman's Assistant

I was born in Cannock in the West Midlands. Cannock isnt the GREATEST of places to live but its certainly not the worst (Albeit it was voted so..). Cannock is obviously known for the Cannock Chase (Area of outstanding natural beauty, plenty of wildlife and a lot of bike trails).

Most noticable person from Cannock would be Kate Walsh, runner up of series 5 of the apprentice.

Last year i moved to Stone, just outside of Stoke-on-Trent. Stone is a small village based along side the Trent and Mersey canal and is renown for its bars, restaurants and pubs. Infact the food and drink festival is hosted here every year which attracts many celebrity chefs. Nothing else springs to mind about stone.. they have a very active community and always have events going on every week on the main street and park.

I recommend you visit Stone if your ever in the area.. its such a nice place you wouldn't regret it

2013 13" Macbook Air with 8GB memory

Ebuyer Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Hydey View Post
    Telford:

History (From Wiki):
    The area around Ironbridge is described as the "Birthplace of the Industrial Revolution" because it is near a the place where Abraham Darby I perfected the technique of smelting iron with coke, allowing much cheaper production of iron. The grandson of the first Abraham Darby, Abraham Darby III, built the famous bridge - originally designed by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard - to link the two areas. Construction began in 1779 and the bridge opened on New Year's Day 1781.

The Ironbridge:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...nbridge002.JPG

Dawley (which is what Telford was called before 1968) is mentioned in the Domesday book, and is therefore one of the older settlements in Shropshire.

Dawley was the birthplace of Captain Matthew Webb who was the first man to swim the English Channel.

Horsehay (Telford) was the birth place of novelist Ellis Peters (born Edith Mary Pargeter), who wrote the popular Cadfael novels.

Television personality Paul Hendy used to live in one of the cottages round Horsehay Pool (and I'm pretty sure I'm some how related to him).

Billy Wright, the former captain of Wolves and the England football team, attended Madeley Senior School (now Abraham Darby Academy, formerly Abraham Darby School, of which I attended).

Rob Edwards a current Wolves and Wales full-back, was born in the town, in 1982, and Bobby McFerrin, the singer of the song "Don't Worry, be Happy", was born in the town, in 1950.

The Brontë family lived in the town for a short time before moving to Yorkshire.

Several members of the pop group T'Pau (including vocalist Carol Decker, of whom my mother went to school with) were from Wellington.

I never realised before, but I'm from a fairly impressive little town
    You also forgot to mention the rubbish football team telford have
    "Sompe people collect stamps, i collect Synths"

Ebuyer Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by bigdan676 View Post
    interesting thread, Well i live in Alvaston, which is in Derby.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=alva...gl=uk&t=h&z=15

Great area, very quite which is good.

Anyway back onto my Hometown of Derby.

Latest news is Bombardier - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-14043638
    (Which is a real big shame at the moment)

More info on Derby - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derby
    http://www.visitderby.co.uk/around-derby

Nice hotel - http://www.horsleylodge.co.uk/

Some pics

http://www.questforghosts.com/images...n-castle-2.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5285/...725faff158.jpg

http://www.mondoarc.com/siteimage/sc.../600/56784.png
    (new ish shopping centre, Westfeild Derby)

If anyone wants to know anything about Derby let me know i will be happy to help.

Dan
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastwood,_Nottinghamshire

What part of derby are you from?

Grumpy Ol' Sod

Your local exchange, ****ing with internets

I never realised that there were this many people from my area of the country! I'm originally from Liverpool, moved to Southport when I started high school.

- Start here for SSD help
    MY
    | MY

Ebuyer Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by xreyuk View Post
    I never realised that there were this many people from my area of the country! I'm originally from Liverpool, moved to Southport when I started high school.
    Nowt wrong with Southport