+ Reply to Thread
    The Grumpy One

Default Average Wage For A 20 Year Old?

Hey all..

just been looking about... but cant see much... im sure someone who is clued up with be able to point me in the right direction.

Basically i am 20 years old and a start-out IT techy.

Just looking for another Job... so wondering what the average wage for me would be??

or am i asking a stupid question.

feel free to flame me
    Bites When Provoked....

The Ebuyer Elite

What kind of job are you looking for? If you're a techy starting out then probably in the region of 15-20k but it depends on your area and the demand for techies in your area.

It also varies on your experience as a techie and what kind of network environments you've worked in etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

The Grumpy One

ahh right..

well basically i have a years experience, and A levels in IT.

i didnt go to uni as i found my current job which is working with 125+ users aver 4 sites. this is run on a domain, with VPN connections between 3 of the 4 sites.

Well i have applied for a local IT job... and they are looking for a post Grad and the are offering 17.5k.

so pretty much spot on there merc
    Bites When Provoked....

The Turtle

when I was 20 I was earning umm..18.5K IIRC. I started at the same company (been working with this company for 5 years in Aug) 23 days before my 18th Birthday and I was on 14k when I started and rose to 16k after 3 months.
    Now I'm 22 and erm...not gonna tell you how much I get

Follow me on twitter

The "Android" Dude

Is it true that the job opertunites and wage in networking is really good?
    PC: GA-P35C-DS3R | C2Q Q6600 GO 95W @ 3.2Ghz With AF7 | 4GB OCZ DDR PC2-6400 4-4-4-15 | XFX Geforce 8800GT (G92 670Mhz) With Thermaltake DuOrb Cooler | Antec P182 Gun Metal Grey NOTEBOOK: Apple 13" Macbook Pro PHONE(S): T-Mobile G1 (FroYo) & Nexus One (FroYo)

The Grumpy One

well im happy with not alot more than what im on currently... as its closer to home (by about 30miles) and theres prospects for promotion as they company is rapidly expanding
    Bites When Provoked....

The Ebuyer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Klone View Post
    ahh right..

well basically i have a years experience, and A levels in IT.

i didnt go to uni as i found my current job which is working with 125+ users aver 4 sites. this is run on a domain, with VPN connections between 3 of the 4 sites.

Well i have applied for a local IT job... and they are looking for a post Grad and the are offering 17.5k.

so pretty much spot on there merc
    Yeah, I thought I'd be close. My current uni course makes me worth about 20-25k a year.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

The Grumpy One

show off

i havent the time to go to uni/college any more
    im kinda hoping that the new job may release me once a week for a course or two
    Bites When Provoked....

Senior Ebuyer Addict

im 16 and i get 8.50 an hour dnt know if thats any help
    Q6600 (water cooled) , silverstone tj03 (with custom top for 120mm rad and window), 2 gb tracer ram , ATI 4870 , Seagate 500 GB hard drive , P43 Asus

The Turtle

show off

i havent the time to go to uni/college any more
    im kinda hoping that the new job may release me once a week for a course or two
    I never went to uni and I'm earning more than that trouble with IT is you need experience to get into it but you need to get into it to get experience.
    You are doing the right thing in having a junior job (in a sense) and learning as much as you can, and if you are lucky there will be opportunities for promotion etc. and if there isn't move on where you can get a better higher paid job.
    I was close to leaving my current job because I felt I had reached the 'celing' but then one of the old boys in our team took early retirement and I took his place as an analyst

Follow me on twitter

Logan

Quote Originally Posted by merc_fan View Post
    Yeah, I thought I'd be close. My current uni course makes me worth about 20-25k a year.
    From experience, what Uni says and what actually happens can be very different indeed! Remember they are salesmen aswell as educators From my own experience the only way to get around the 25k+ barrier is on a proper grad scheme...often in London. 20k is feasible though if you work hard, get a good result and often...get lucky.

Once you have 3 years good experience under your belt, that's when you can start really making the money and applying for the better jobs.

I graduated last July with a degree in Network Computing, then went travelling...and then in the late part of last year I started a graduate position with a starting salary of 18k for the first 6 months (probation). For an IT graduate in the North East, that's pretty good imo.

I had 1 year (and another year part time) experience from my placement, where I was an IT admin...well THE IT admin.

If you don't have a degree and just 1 year experience then you may find firms are reluctant to take you on. I found this even with a degree! It's a viscious circle...can't get a job without experience...can't get experience without a job!

And PS: hate to wee on your fire or put you down but post-grad means you have a degree.

However, experience in IT is what matters so when you are 21/22 chances are you will be on more than somone whos just graduated as you'll have the experience...so I wouldn't worry about that.
    Last edited by Logan; 28th January 2008 at 03:16 PM.

The Grumpy One

I know Post grad means i need a degree... but i thought my experience would speak for itself. I never knew that i would get this job with no degree... but i must have said something right!!!

I really want to get into programming... i was just chatting to this really nice guy about it... and he makes it sound easy (of course it isnt) so i want to learn!

But as for new jobs... sounds coool
    Bites When Provoked....

Logan

I know Post grad means i need a degree... but i thought my experience would speak for itself. I never knew that i would get this job with no degree... but i must have said something right!!!

I really want to get into programming... i was just chatting to this really nice guy about it... and he makes it sound easy (of course it isnt) so i want to learn!

But as for new jobs... sounds coool
    Unfortunatley it seems a years experience in IT isn't worth a great deal, all the best with it though.

The thing is programing is a totally different field...so you're back to square 1!

Ebuyer Addict

Yeah I'd have to say experience counts much than qualifications, especially in IT.

I know people 25+ with honors degrees who still struggle to get jobs earning more than 20k because they have not managed to get much higher level experience, on the flip-side I know people under 20 who didn't even go to college who are earning almost 30k because they had a lucky break and got the chance to prove what they were capable of.

I'm completely self taught, dropped out of college because I needed money (left home just before my 16th) and was offered a helpdesk job for a 10k start with the opportunity to help with what turned out to be the largest NT4 rollout in Europe (an extremely lucky break), I was earning almost 27k by the time I was 19 planning/designing and implementing large scale rollouts. Now at 28 I'm a self employed consultant and no I won't say what I earn

Not everyone gets a break like that but the point is that it's experience that really counts and getting the chance to prove yourself, in the long run it's often worth taking a chance on a lower paid job if there's a good prospect of progression, so my advice is always look at the company and the experience you could gain over the money in the early days, take any opportunity to improve & prove your skill that comes along and who knows where you'll end up

What got me initially noticed was a modem issue, all the shop systems had a modem for emergency server connections should the network go down, then someone realized during a test run that they didn't work in at least 50 shops, it turned out to be a driver issue easily resolved but a pain to test each of the 850+ shops (each with 10 systems) to see if they had the issue and fix it if needed. Before they had even managed to check 4 shops manually I had put a script together that contacted each shop in turn working through each system and did a simple line test to detect a dialing tone, if it didn't get one then the driver was automatically reinstalled, system rebooted, and then tried dialing again, the results were then logged on my system in fail or success logs, in the end we only had to send an engineer to 5 shops which it turned out had hardware issues, gave me a huge confidence boost too that I managed to pull it off after only working in IT for about 6 months

Wow that turned into an essay, and a trip down memory lane, hadn't thought about that for ages, lol
    <<<<<<<< RIP Count To A Million! >>>>>>