+ Reply to Thread
    Ebuyer Addict

Default Does anyone know of any software that can limit internet access at certain times?

I have a wireless router with several PCs conected to it wirelessly and one wired. The trouble is that the kiddies in this household have been going on the internet way too late at night when they should be sleeping, so I need to stop them accessing it at a certain time.

I've looked through all the settings on my router but there is no option there, so I wondered if anyone knew of a software solution for this, something that I can install on thier PCs which will stop internet access after the time I set.

Thanks.

Ebuyer Loyalist

Are the PCs running VISTA?
    As there user accounts section has loads of options like that for limiting time or games, etc
    * i5 2500K + Corsair H100i * Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 * 8GB Exceleram White 1600Mhz * Samsung 840 250GB SSD * x1 1TB WD Caviar Black 64MB * Intel HD Graphics 3000 * Corsair AIR 540 * Corsair HX1000W * logitech Z2300 * Dell U2311H IPS *

The "Fountain of Knowledge" Dude

Lightbulb

There probably are applications you can get, but having never used them I can't say much, BUT, what I can suggest is checking out your isp account, look to see if you can set up any sub accounts, I say this because when I was with BT they allowed sub accounts giving the user their own connection details, also within it's settings you could set stuff like age limits and time limits for being online, so if you have such a thing on your isp account you can set that up and then go on the other PC and change the connection details to what you have set up then at x time limit their net will cut off.

The other way is a way I don't fully know\understand myself, but it's to do with setting up their connection so it must connect via your PC, not the router itself, so my limited understanding is you could kick them off the net anytime you want, but they wont be able to access the net unless your PC is on as well, but hopefully these thoughts will help a bit.

Ebuyer Addict

Quote Originally Posted by bigdan676 View Post
    Are the PCs running VISTA?
    As there user accounts section has loads of options like that for limiting time or games, etc
    One is running Vista and the other XP. Will have a look at that tomorrow, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 8210GUY View Post
    There probably are applications you can get, but having never used them I can't say much, BUT, what I can suggest is checking out your isp account, look to see if you can set up any sub accounts, I say this because when I was with BT they allowed sub accounts giving the user their own connection details, also within it's settings you could set stuff like age limits and time limits for being online, so if you have such a thing on your isp account you can set that up and then go on the other PC and change the connection details to what you have set up then at x time limit their net will cut off.

The other way is a way I don't fully know\understand myself, but it's to do with setting up their connection so it must connect via your PC, not the router itself, so my limited understanding is you could kick them off the net anytime you want, but they wont be able to access the net unless your PC is on as well, but hopefully these thoughts will help a bit.
    Thanks, I will look into that also.

Ebuyer Legend

Most routers support blocking Internet access by a schedule. Check if yours does this as it's the easiest way. So long as your kids don't know how to change the IP address of your PC, this is foolproof.
    PC: i7 4770k | 32GB RAM | 2x Samsung SSD 840 Pro 256GB | 2TB WD Red | Gainward GTX 760 Phantom 2GB
    BeQuiet! 630W PSU | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 MacBook: alu. unibody | 8GB RAM | Core2Duo P8600 2.4GHz
    Samsung SSD 830 128GB Server: HP ProLiant Microserver N36L | 1.3GHz Dual Core | 3GB RAM | Various HDDs

The Ebuyer Elite

Quote Originally Posted by mike_ View Post
    Most routers support blocking Internet access by a schedule. Check if yours does this as it's the easiest way. So long as your kids don't know how to change the IP address of your PC, this is foolproof.
    My BT Business Broadband router (2Wire 2700HGV) has Internet Access Restriction. If the user changes the IP then it still blocks the Internet access as it goes by the computer name.

If they changed the computer name then for some reason it still continues to block Internet access lol.

However, thanks to my policy, the users of my network can't change stuff like the IP/PC Name anyway..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390