+ Reply to Thread
    shyam

Default Choosing a wireless N router (big house, long range)

Hey Guys,

Looking for advice on buying a new Wireless N router.

I currently have a WRT54GS wireless setup, with a laptop, PC, and 360 all connecting wirelessly on the same floor with excellent speed and stability (On Virgin Medias cable 20MB package, speeds of about 2000kb/s).

I have recently moved my PC up, not one floor but 2 floors, into a new area in an extension recently built, it is on the other side of the house, and TWO floors higher. Unfortunately I can't pick up any wireless signal at all, and there isn't a chance of moving the modem up a floor..

I've heard that it is very likely I will get a signal with a "wireless N" router, and possibly even a good signal with good download speeds.. There are quite a few out, so I was wondering on advice on what is the model for me.. Answers from people who have also used the routers in very long distances, like myself would really be appreciated.

I will also need to buy a wireless card/usb adapter for my desktop so it can be compatible with the wireless N..

I've seen lots of models around, the Belkin N1 and D-Link DIR-655 Xtreme N Gigabit seem the most highly rated, but I don't really know much about it..

I'm really looking for the router that will give me the best signal, on the longest distance and the highest speeds.

Thans for your advice everyone!

The Ebuyer Elite

If you had an extension built then the first thing I would have done was laid Cat6 cabling everywhere while it was being built.

But never mind...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129215

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/129219

Both of the above connect to a cable modem.

Have you also considered Homeplug?

http://www.ebuyer.com/search/?qfind=Homeplug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebuyer Customer Support/Product Advice: 0871 5213300 | Ebuyer Technical Support: 03303 339390

The "Awesome" Dude

Quote Originally Posted by merc_fan View Post
    If you had an extension built then the first thing I would have done was laid Cat6 cabling everywhere while it was being built.

But never mind...
    You've really got to stop thinking this way. I too would have done such a thing, and if I were to buy a house I'd rip the floor up and cable for absolutely everything in every room. But most people wouldn't, it wouldn't even occur to them.

Homeplug is probably a good way to go.

shyam

I had considered Homeplug but I'm pretty sure the wiring is seperate in the extension.. Anyone had any personal experience with N routers?

Also any ideas on trying to increase the signal with current router - WRT54GS, right now it won't pick it up at all upstairs in the extension.. I know you can get antennas or use another firmware but with firmware I don't know how much you can actually increase it without risking damage, and I don't know anything about the antennas..