+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default 125129 - MyGuide 3100 Series Sat Nav Unit

Use this space to discuss the MyGuide 3100 Series Sat Nav Unit (Quickfind 125129).

If you are new to the forums, you will have to sign up before you are able to create a post. Please ensure you conform to the Ebuyer Forum Rules.

[Edit by Nolan]
    Please note we now stock the AC adaptor for this unit – 135330
    So you can now plug it in and charge it up at home/work etc.
    Last edited by Nolan; 7th November 2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Updated information

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

smnbin

Default Does this device work in Europe?

Hello,

I am considering purchasing this device, but I would like to know whether it is possible to use it in Europe? In particular I would like to use it for a family holiday in France next year.

Thanks,

Simon

All in the game, yo...

Doesnt look like it mate, Sorry
    Live for the GTi-6

kingshedges

Default mine doesn't work!

Just recieved mine 2 hours ago. Connected it up to a power supply to charge the battery and it is showing "NO GPS SIGNAL" both at work and at home. I know there is sufficient signal at work, as I built up a replacement GPS unit for a customer of ours (the original is obsolete and the replacement is an ultra-cheap RS232 type) and it worked fine in the office - sync'ed in a few seconds, showing location and the atomic time (which is what it's used for).

Anybody else had this? Any ideas before I return it to Ebuyer?

kingshedges

Default still no go

Tried all day yesterday to get it to work. When I connected it up in the car I got a GPS lock after what seemed like ages. It gave the wrong location, however - this could just be dud maps, but it was about 100 yards out! Tried again outside, in the house, up the road etc etc and again a "no GPS signal". Tried in the car again, and it wouldn't lock on again.

Friends GPSs work here - I mean - shouldn't they work anywhere, otherwise what's the point?
    I've asked to return it for a refund, but I know exactly what will happen. The Ebuyer tester will try in Yorkshire (or whereever they are) and of course, it will work for them! There will then be a long protracted communication about "I say it doesn't work" and they say" yes it does". Been there many times.

Does anybody have a similar experience of GPSs and this one in particular?

Nigel

Default Confusion over My Guide 3100 Sat Nav

You can buy it in ***** for 90 but it only comes with a 5 digit postcode search yet there is a mains adaptor in the box. I checked it out and we test drove it in the shop.

The unit for sale on Ebuyer does not have a mains adaptor but comes with full 7 digit Postcode search ( someone else claims that the 7 digits are numerical only ie europe ).

How Can this be ??

The 7 digit postcode is a must but I could do with the mains charger as well for 90.

Does the Ebuyer unit really have full 7 digit UK Postcode search...if so I will have to do
    without the mains charger unless I want to pay for one as an accessory ?

dglover

Question Mains Adapter?

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy the mains adapter for one of these?

Blitzracing

It does not have a full 7 digit post code in the uk, its a lie. It takes you through 5 digits then brakes down into steet name and house number. Completely useless in rural areas where house numbers dont exist. Ive had 3 units before we got a working one (funny- one was a faulty mains PSU !!- They obviously dont ship them any more). Not at all impressed

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzracing View Post
    It does not have a full 7 digit post code in the uk, its a lie. It takes you through 5 digits then brakes down into steet name and house number. Completely useless in rural areas where house numbers dont exist. Ive had 3 units before we got a working one (funny- one was a faulty mains PSU !!- They obviously dont ship them any more). Not at all impressed
    I don't think it's a lie. I got mine yesterday, and it has full 7 digit postcodes.

Are you putting the necessary space between the two parts of the code?

So far I must say I'm pretty impressed. Some things aren't too intuitive, but it has a lot of options once you have found your way around, and the speed and navigation seem on a par with anything else I've seen.

My only grumble would be the use of the phrase "prepare to turn right....in half a mile (or whenever)", rather than using "in half a mile.....prepare to turn right" or something along those lines. The way it reads it at the moment often has me looking for that right turn a bit too soon!
    Last edited by DarkMatter; 16th July 2008 at 11:57 PM.

Blitzracing

Default 5 or 7 digit post code

Can you let me know the firmware revision you have for the full 7 digits. Ebuyer suggest I try this first, but as yet Ive not found a download for the 3100. There is a full upgrade for the 3000 on the www.myguidegps site however.

Thanks

Can you let me know the firmware revision you have for the full 7 digits. Ebuyer suggest I try this first, but as yet Ive not found a download for the 3100. There is a full upgrade for the 3000 on the www.myguidegps site however.

Thanks
    I'm not sure about the firmware version, but it says that it is running "MyGuide Navigator 6.1" dated Apr 20 2007, if that's any use.

sallyn

Quote Originally Posted by dglover View Post
    Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy the mains adapter for one of these?
    ******!
    You need a 5v 2AMP supply. Take it in - they'll help you :-)\
    Last edited by Nolan; 7th November 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: evading filter

sallyn

I have ordered 2 MyGuides in the past 2 weeks from eBuyer - and BOTH have full 7 digit postcode support. You must insert a space after the first 3 or 4 digits.
    Last edited by Nolan; 7th November 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Evading filter

sallyn

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    You can buy it in ***** for 90 but it only comes with a 5 digit postcode search yet there is a mains adaptor in the box. I checked it out and we test drove it in the shop.

The unit for sale on Ebuyer does not have a mains adaptor but comes with full 7 digit Postcode search ( someone else claims that the 7 digits are numerical only ie europe ).

How Can this be ??

The 7 digit postcode is a must but I could do with the mains charger as well for 90.

Does the Ebuyer unit really have full 7 digit UK Postcode search...if so I will have to do
    without the mains charger unless I want to pay for one as an accessory ?
    Definetly 7 digit support. I have 2 now - one I gave as a preseent.
    Insert first 3 or 4 digits - then press space - then enter then next 3/ It works at treat :-)
    Last edited by Nolan; 7th November 2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Evading filter, please don't. Thankyou

sallyn

Quote Originally Posted by kingshedges View Post
    Just recieved mine 2 hours ago. Connected it up to a power supply to charge the battery and it is showing "NO GPS SIGNAL" both at work and at home. I know there is sufficient signal at work, as I built up a replacement GPS unit for a customer of ours (the original is obsolete and the replacement is an ultra-cheap RS232 type) and it worked fine in the office - sync'ed in a few seconds, showing location and the atomic time (which is what it's used for).

Anybody else had this? Any ideas before I return it to Ebuyer?
    Hi
    Mine didn't get a GPS log on until the battery had been fully charged. After that, no problems at all. It needs to build up the database. Be patient!

sallyn

I have downloaded full 2007 European maps. If you would like details please email me or PM.

Cheers
    Sally

Blitzracing

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMatter View Post
    I don't think it's a lie. I got mine yesterday, and it has full 7 digit postcodes.
    Im really confused. It accepts the first 5 digits OK, but on entering the last 2, it switches to seaching for named roads. ie.

Post code RG14 5sj

RG145 fine, then any road beginning with "s" is listed. I dont recollect there being a space bar option, only numbers and letters. I dont unfortunately have the unit with me at the moment to double check.

Am I missing something really silly here??? :confused:

Im really confused. It accepts the first 5 digits OK, but on entering the last 2, it switches to seaching for named roads. ie.

Post code RG14 5sj

RG145 fine, then any road beginning with "s" is listed. I dont recollect there being a space bar option, only numbers and letters. I dont unfortunately have the unit with me at the moment to double check.

Am I missing something really silly here??? :confused:
    This is different behaviour to my unit. If I try the postcode you gave, after RG14 the only key available to press is the space bar, and then it lets me continue with the rest of the code (5JS). It will not let me get as far as RG145 without putting a space in.

It sounds like your unit is running a different verison of the software to me.

My father in law has a Silvercrest unit (from Lidl about 6 months ago) which runs an older version of the myguide software, and if I recall correctly, that behaves in the manner you describe.

I would take it up with Ebuyer if you bought the unit recently, as it should definately have the full 7 digit search.

Ronald4345

Default Full 2007 European Maps

Quote Originally Posted by sallyn View Post
    I have downloaded full 2007 European maps. If you would like details please email me or PM.

Cheers
    Sally
    Hi Sallyn.
    Can you please send me details regards downloading the maps and installing it on My Guide 3100.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by Ronald4345; 19th October 2007 at 02:51 PM.

Has anyone found any useful websites or links regarding upgrading or customizing this unit?
    Last edited by DarkMatter; 19th October 2007 at 09:20 AM.

sallyn

Post Useful sites for the 3100

Hi
    I've found PPCWarez to be invaluble in learning how to tweak things:
    http://forum.ppcwarez.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=20315

Also http://www.i-go.com/
    iGO is the manufacturer of the mapping software.

All the latest maps are here:
    http://www.filefactory.com/f/9eeb0f75e820535d/

I'm still having trouble unlocking them - as soon as I've worked out how to crack the license file - I'll let you know.

To re-iterate - the unit currently being sold by eBuyer DOES support 7 digit postcodes, the one from C O M E T does not. You must insert a space after the first 3 or 4 digits.

I also attach a crib sheet on how to add in the speed camera database. It's a zipped up PDF file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Blitzracing

[QUOTE=sallyn;156091]Hi

To re-iterate - the unit currently being sold by eBuyer DOES support 7 digit postcodes, the one from ....... does not. You must insert a space after the first 3 or 4 digits.

QUOTE]

Spot on thanks very much, may I hang my head in shame over such a simple mistake, having got the unit back from my mother !
    Last edited by Nolan; 7th November 2007 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Evading filter

danweb

Quote Originally Posted by sallyn View Post
    I also attach a crib sheet on how to add in the speed camera database. It's a zipped up PDF file.
    I am having no luck at all with this. I am able to follow the instructions to the letter, without a problem.

But when it comes to step 12

"To enable the alerts, on the MyGuide go to:
    Settings �� General ��Alerts �� and turn on Enable Safety Cameras, and then adjust the
    audible warning to either "When Approaching" or "Simple".

There is simply nothing there relating to the speedcams...

More specifically the speedcams are showing up on the maps, but there are no audible warnings, and nowhere to enable them....

Any help would be much appreciated
    Last edited by danweb; 22nd October 2007 at 06:26 PM. Reason: extra details

danweb

ignore that
    I have it working perfectly now....
    There is a couple of things that can be added to the instructions....

1. Go outside with your navigation system and wait for receiving gps signals!

2, Now look for settings and activate alerts.

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by danweb View Post
    I am having no luck at all with this. I am able to follow the instructions to the letter, without a problem.

But when it comes to step 12

"To enable the alerts, on the MyGuide go to:
    Settings �� General ��Alerts �� and turn on Enable Safety Cameras, and then adjust the
    audible warning to either "When Approaching" or "Simple".

There is simply nothing there relating to the speedcams...

More specifically the speedcams are showing up on the maps, but there are no audible warnings, and nowhere to enable them....

Any help would be much appreciated
    Do as it says on the tin - In the Navigation Section select Settings, General, Alerts then scroll down using bottom arrow to right of screen to reveal what you are looking for and press enable safety cameras to turn green light on then use arrows to select audible warning type....et voila

carloguzzi

Default Updated UK Maps

Anyone got a modern update? This is my only gripe

Also has anyone managed to run alternative software on the 3100?

Thanks

sallyn

Exclamation Information on MyGuide mapping and other bits...

MyGuide is unit made in Germany - but uses iGO maps (http://www.i-go.com/)
    From what I have gathered - the general consensus across most GPS forums is that iGO maps are the best available - with very fast recalculation. So far, I've found mine excellent. Except when I got lost because i ignored the nice lady's instructions!!! Yes - not all new roads are on - but even Goggle Maps and Multimap still don't list the new bypass that was built 2 years ago near where I live. They all (including TomTom, Garmin etc) rely on TeleAtlas maps - and until that's updated - all SatNavs are going to be behind.

For some info/review on iGO Maps 2006 software (MyGuide is shipped iGO software):
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/iGo2006.php

It seems that there is one question that everybody wants to know! European mapping! I must stress that I have not purchased European maps - but rather "acquired" them. If you're comfortable with downloading this sort of thing - then it's not difficult - if you're new to it - it may be a little daunting.

So, I have all of the latest European Maps - and can confirm that the United Kingdom map shipped by eBuyer is up to date, and supports 7 digit postcode entry. The maps live on the removable SD card - and not on the internal Flash Memory - this is presumably so that they can "lock" them with clever hidden software....

I copied the smallest map (Albania as it happens) onto the SD card to test.
    MyGuide lists it in the Map List (About Screen -> Maps) but displays it as locked. So, I made a back up of my original license.db file (stored in the internal flash memory on the device) and replaced it with the license file from the torrent site. I then got an immediate hardware error. So I'm guessing that there is some sort of hardware "key" that is hardwired into the license.db file as most of the satnav companies are getting ripped off by people stealing maps so they are trying to stop it by signing the maps that are downloaded with a unique key.

However, if you want to do this legitimately - you can purchase European mapping for I think 98 from (this is almost identical to retail price of TomTom Europe and

http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/Soft...RN_EUROPE.html
    Maps on the SD card:
    Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, Norway, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and United Kingdom )

Range of iGO Maps:
    http://www.easydevices.co.uk/sp/sear.../Software.html

sallyn

Default MyGuide: Just for info - full data sheet

Hi all,
    I've come across this - the original data sheet for the MyGuide.
    http://www.mapart.com/images/3100_Da...N_20061106.pdf

(still no joy on unlocking maps....)

I've pretty much got the unit doing what I want now.

I havn't bothered trying to update the maps as (like sallyn says) there aren't any significantly updated versions available as far as I can see. I have freinds with tom toms etc, and they pretty much all seem to have the same mapping errors as the myguide.

I've got the speedcams working fine (over 10 thousand cameras), although I had to manually edit the file to remove the directional info in order to ensure that the alert sounded consistently. Does anyone have a database containing reliable directional info?

I've succeeded in adding POIs (5000 odd supermarkets for example) from pocketgpsworld, but to be honest it slowed the boot time down so much I ended up removing them again. It's not as easy as putting the speedcams on, as you have to add/merge them into the iGo.db file (which is where all the user defined POIs are stored) after a bit of tinkering with the CSV files in Excel. Unfortunately, despite there being a POI folder on the unit, putting anything in there seems to do nothing at all! I used 'iGo POI Explorer' which worked ok, but the myguide didn't seem to like the catagories it created in the database, and often seemed to put the POIs in the wrong catagory.

I removed the warning about pressing buttons while driving from the boot sequence, just so I dont have to press the accept button all the time.

I thought about updating the software to the iGO 2006 plus, but to be honest I'm not sure what I would gain at this time so I decided to leave it alone for now.